Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2013/12/11 09:01:11 UTC

Painless way to update a frameworks group id?

Hi,

I am the current maintainer of the Flexmojos Maven Plugin and contributor to the Apache Flex Project.

Currently I am working on a new Version of Flexmojos which is able to work with Flex SDKs that have a groupId of org.apache.flex instead of the old com.adobe.flex. While building applications with the new groupId was no big Problem, we are now facing a Problem, that I don't quite know how to elegantly solve it.

Assuming I am building a Project and I switched the groupId of the Flex Framework to "org.apache.flex". As Long as I am building all artifacts in the Project this is fine. But as soon as I am using a Flex library that was built for com.apache.flex Maven correctly adds that artifacts dependencies to the build. Unfortunately this way I have several artifacts in my build twice ... once with com.adobe.flex and once with org.apache.flex groupId.

Now I was suggesting to manually exclude Framework artifacts when using an external lib, but I would like to automate this. Therefore I suggested to add all the org.apache.flex artifacts as com.adobe.flex artifacts, but to set the scope on These to "provided". But it still sort of doesn't feel right.

Any suggestions? Would be really happy to sort this out and make it less painfull for my users.

Chris

AW: AW: Painless way to update a frameworks group id?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Ah ... I think I know where you are going.

So my Mavenizer would generate the correct artifacts and additionally would generate relocation poms for the old group id ... I think I'll have to look at that option.

Thanks for that.

Chris

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.
Christofer,

this depends on your definition of "we" :-). In a company context with an
internal repository manager you might deploy a "vendor" release into your
patched thirdparty repository. Or tell your users to manually install the
patched version. I did similar stuff for this strange
m2e-maven-plugin-configuration-holder (
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7905501/get-rid-of-pom-not-found-warning-for-org-eclipse-m2elifecycle-mapping
)

Regards Mirko

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Good Idea ...

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.
Just a guess:

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Well I guess the enforcer Thing should be a good Option.

I was already telling the People to exclude and manually include the new artifacts. So I guess I'll still stick to that and extend my Suggestion to add an enforcer rule to notify users of such Problems.

Also I knew that changing the groupId would not be completely painless, but I didn't want to force People to continue to call Flex artifacts com.adobe.flex as the guys at Apache are doing the good and hard work. It's more a Thing of ideals than technical neccessity :-)

Think some sort of "artifact-transformer" mechanism in Maven would be really cool ("Map the following groupId to otherGroupId"). But I guess something like that would fit into the same drawer as the which to hace a "configuration-check" mechanism that allows a plugin to validate the configuration used (Would really like to implement some validator and "best-practice" validator component guiding users on how to use the plugin)

Chris

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
What do you think about this Option?

I created a tool that mavenizes a non-maven Flex SDK and genereates all sorts of maven artifacts ... one artifact that is generated is a Special pom that contains only a dependency Management section that can be used to automatically configure the Versions of dependencies in the Flex SDK ... I could automatically generate dependency manangement entries for the old Group id that set the dependencies to "provided". So as soon as someone imports that pom containing the dependencyManagement entries for the good artifacts, the "exclude" entries are automatically in place.

Chris

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.