Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Daniel Fagerstrom <da...@nada.kth.se> on 2005/11/23 11:05:24 UTC

2.2 Documentation

was: Re: Planning 2.2

Ezkovich Glen wrote:

> I agree. But if you release today, then no one except those that have
> touched those things or followed the developer list will know what
> those features are much less how to use them.

A 2.2 M1 is for the benefit of the community and early adapters rather
than for a broad audience. It is for channeling community focus and
energy, which will cretate value for a broader audience after a while.

Neither the less we need to start a 2.2 Documentation effort:

> Point me in the right direction, give me a tentative release date and
> I will write up some documentation. Best offer I can give you today.

Thanks for the offer. Can't give you a tentative release date, but at
least some pointers:

We need a 2.2 branch of our documentation (maybe there allready is one?)

Documentation of (please everyone, provide relevant links to mail and
other documentation):

> - ECM++
> - Virtual sitemap components

(not particullary mature yet, but start with
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=111316710610638&w=2 and
ask on the list)

> - blocks (sitemap blocks, exposing blocks)

Ongoing work, but the "sitemap aspect"
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=111791016006393&w=2 is
based on a large amount of community driven design, so it might be
worthwhile to start documenting. The "component aspect", and the OSGi
part need more work and discussion.

> - per sitemap reloading classloader (for dev)
> - reworked property management
> - Spring integration (Spring block)
> - possible to listen to sitemap events
> - refactoring of Javaflow (uses now the commons-javaflow project which
>   was started by Thorsten)
> - introduction of CTemplate (refactoring of JXTemplate in 2.1.x)

It should be completely back compatible with the original JXTG, but can
also be used in non flow environment. Leszek have added some features,
can you give links to relevant mails please.

                          --- o0o ---

I guess, collecting relevant links to mail and current documentation
snippets in the Wiki or in Daisy, would be a good first step.

WDYT?

/Daniel

Re: 2.2 Documentation

Posted by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com>.
Bruno Dumon wrote:
> Are you sure this is unnecessary? The current setup shares the same
> documents in the new docs and the legacy docs. Thus when the new docs
> are updated, refactored, retired etc, this influences the legacy docs
> too. This was fine as long as the legacy docs served exactly for this
> purpose, but now the legacy docs have turned into the official 2.1.8
> documentation. If we don't make a branch for 2.1.8, there's no way the
> 2.1.x docs can still be produced and maintained in the future.

Hmm. Currently there is so much "crap" (i.e. outdated documents or
documents describing ideas rather than real implementations) among the
documentation in the legacydocs collection, that I'm all for retiring
documents in that collection or slightly modifying the ones that are
still mostly valid.
That would improve the 2.1.8 documentation as well as the 2.2 documentation.

OTOH you're right that over time, the documentation of the 2.1 branche
would change too, which is unwanted.

My suggestion is a temporary solution, a kind of transition phase when
2.1.X is becoming "obsolete" and 2.2 is taking over. Once the
"official" 2.2 is released, we should create a branch to ensure that
2.1.X is "frozen". At that time, we might also decide that there will be
no more changes in the 2.1.X documentation at which point they will be
removed from Daisy entirely and the only copy resides in the SVN repository.

Bye, Helma

Re: 2.2 Documentation

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.

Re: 2.2 Documentation

Posted by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com>.
[...]

In summary:
- don't use the legacydocs site

- new documents, about new features of Cocoon 2.2, go into the
Documentation site. They are part of the documentation collection
(automatically if you have the Documentation site open) and they are of
type "Document" (not SimpleDocument).

- if the documentation you want to write is already present in the
legacydocs and is valid for both versions, move the document to the
"documentation" collection:
    - select the document, select "edit" (you have to be logged in),
select the "Misc" tab and make sure the "selected" list contains only
"documentation".

- if the documentation you want to write is already present in the
legacydocs, but is not entirely correct:
    - are the changes you want to add also valid for 2.1?
       - yes: go ahead, change the document and move it from the
legacydocs to documentation.

       - no: are the changes minor?
             - yes: add one or more "notes" (paragraphs marked Note)
that explain the differences between 2.1 and 2.2 and move the document
from the legacydocs to documentation.

             - no: create a new document in the documentation collection
and write the information as if the legacydocs document didn't exist.

- if you find documentation in the legacydocs that is outdated for both
2.1 and 2.2, then retire the document (Misc tab, under the Options section)

- if you find documentation in the wiki that is useful:
    - copy the information to a Daisy document and finish this
    - mark the wiki page with a message that the information is added to
the "official" Cocoon documentation.

- if there is information in the mailing lists that is useful:
    - copy the information and elaborate it, turn it into a coherent
piece of information.
    - if necessary, add the links to the relevant messages (each Daisy
document has a separate links section that ends up at the bottom of the
page). PLEASE DON'T SIMPLY REFER TO THE MAIL MESSAGES.

Most of this info is also written on the home page of the Cocoon
Documentation site in Daisy:

http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/documentation/659.html

If the above is clear, I'll update that page to reflect this information.

Bye, Helma