Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Burt Leung <ta...@hawaii.rr.com> on 2002/12/06 01:29:13 UTC

Question on detecting updates

To the developer(s);

I am computer science student working on a project which needs to take a
versioning program such as CVS or Subversion and detect when updates are
done (and information about it, such as the user that did the update).

Recently we have worked with CVS but found that only commits can be
detected.  My question is: can Subversion somehow give information on
user updates?  I understand that "hook scripts" are implemented, but am
unsure if these can detect updates.

Please let me know.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Burt Leung

Re: Question on detecting updates

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
"Burt Leung" <ta...@hawaii.rr.com> writes:

> To the developer(s);
>

> I am computer science student working on a project which needs to take a
> versioning program such as CVS or Subversion and detect when updates are
> done (and information about it, such as the user that did the update).
>

> Recently we have worked with CVS but found that only commits can be
> detected.  My question is: can Subversion somehow give information on
> user updates?  I understand that "hook scripts" are implemented, but am
> unsure if these can detect updates.

Subversion has no update-related hooks.  Further, Subversion doesn't
require a user to authenticate for the purposes of updating.  In other
words, unless some other mechanism demands authentication (such as
Apache requiring a valid user for a REPORT request), Subversion will
never know who is doing the update.