Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Milind <op...@yahoo.com> on 2004/11/22 20:01:37 UTC

Problems with JSP samples

Hi All,
I ran into a few problems when trying to compile and
run the JSP samples.
1)I installed Xindice in a folder other than the
C:\Xindice and C:\Program Files\Xindices.
The ant batch files does not seem to like it for some
reason. I re-installed
Xindice under C:\Xindice and that worked.
Suggestion:May be under the original install
instructions we could add that
jsp samples wont compile unless you install at these
specific locations.

2)In the Readme file in java\examples\Addressbook
folder, at step 2 asks
to add the servlet.jar file to your classpath. In my
case it was the default
location "C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat
4.1\common\lib"
For some reason ClassPath does not like to have spaces
in between.
(I found this only after hours of googleing. I found
the cause after
translating a Japanese page in english on google).

Suggestion: This war file can be include or kept as
downloadable from
the Xindice site. This can help users focus on
learning to use the app.

3) OK so finally I had my "Addressbook.war" compiled.
I fired up my browser
and tried connecting to the URL
"http://127.0.0.1:8080/Addressbook" as mentioned in
Step 6
I got a error regarding not being able to find
/Addressbook/servlet/Task.
Again after some googeling (this time just a few
minutes) I found out that
the problem is with the JSP files and that I had to
change all paths
"/Addressbook/servlet/Task" to "/Addressbook/Task".
Stopped and Restarted Tomcat and Xindice, everything
worked fine.

I think Xindice is a great tool specially when you
dont want to start
creating a database schema. Looks like this project is
slowing down if not
dying which would be very sad. So to the folks that
started this you guys
have done a great job so far and hope you guys
continue the good work.

Thanks
-Milind

http://my.yahoo.com