Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Roger Kovack1 <rk...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/09 00:11:11 UTC

Overflow in block-level elements

In short, overflow is allowed in fo:block-container but not in fo:block.

However formatting properties states:

> 7.20.2 "overflow"

> This property specifies whether the content of a block-level element is
> clipped when it overflows the element's box (which is acting as a
> containing block for the content). Values have the following meanings:...

Does "block-level element" refer to fo:block?

I'm afraid I don't know the definition of this. Any pointers would be
appreciated.

Roger Kovack

Re: Overflow in block-level elements

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
As far as I understand the spec the "overflow" property applies only to
FOs which create a viewport area.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#prapply also says:
Property overflow applies to: fo:region-body, fo:region-before,
fo:region-after, fo:region-start, fo:region-end, fo:block-container,
fo:external-graphic, fo:instream-foreign-object, and fo:inline-container.

For a table-cell it means you have to place a block-container in it if
you want to clip content. table-cell itself only creates reference-areas.

On 14.02.2007 08:37:05 Tim Keen wrote:

> If a table-cell has height and width then should"overflow" work as a property to it?
>
> Cheers
>
> Tim
>
> Roger Kovack1 wrote: Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
> >   On Feb 9, 2007, at 00:11, Roger Kovack1 wrote:
> >>   In short, overflow is allowed in fo:block-container but not in fo:block.
>   Does "block-level element" refer to fo:block?
> >   Strictly speaking, yes, but since the property does not apply to fo:block...Why? Well, because a block has no width/height, so there is no possibility of overflow in either direction.
>   Thanks for the explanation. I was just wondering if the spec is being misunderstood or is inaccurate insome manner.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Overflow in block-level elements

Posted by Tim Keen <ti...@optusnet.com.au>.

Re: Overflow in block-level elements

Posted by Roger Kovack1 <rk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.
On Feb 9, 2007, at 00:11, Roger Kovack1 wrote:

> In short, overflow is allowed in fo:block-container but not in
> fo:block.

Not exactly: overflow /is applicable to/ block-container, but not to
block.

> However formatting properties states:
>
>> 7.20.2 "overflow"

>> This property specifies whether the content of a block-level
>> element is
>> clipped when it overflows the element's box (which is acting as a
>> containing block for the content). Values have the following
>> meanings:...
>
> Does "block-level element" refer to fo:block?

Strictly speaking, yes, but since the property does not apply to
fo:block...
Why? Well, because a block has no width/height, so there is no
possibility of overflow in either direction.

Cheers,

Andreas