Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Robert Watkins <ge...@foo-bar.org> on 2001/10/18 05:11:59 UTC

servlets no longer serving index.html under Apache:80

I had everything working just fine -- or so I thought! There are only 3 things
I did between then and now, none of which I would have thought would have the
effect of srewing up the serving of index.html files in servlets directories!

behaviour
---------
On port 8080, everything works just fine.
On port 80, example servlets will work when called directly (such as
http://nyama/examples/servlet/HelloWorldExample) but trying to get
the list of servlets at http://nyama/examples/servlets/index.html
produces the error "HTTP Status 302 - Moved Temporarily"!?!
Other HTML pages work fine, such as reqheaders.html, and when I
copies index.html to fred.html it alos worked fine. There don't
seem to be any obvious error in the tomcat logs, but then I don't
really know what to look for.

things I did
------------
As I said above there were only three things I did between the time I got
everything to be working just as it should and now (presented in the order
of execution):

  1] write my own servlet
     which I got to compile and work properly (until now)
  2] switch from jakarta-servletapi-3.2 to jakarta-servletapi-4
     which I thought would be a good thing
  3] attempt to switch from Tomcat 4.0 to Tomcat 4.0.1
     All I did was install the new files under /usr/local/jakarta,
	 then switch the symbolic link tomcat from jakarta-tomcat-4.0 to
	 jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1.. I got some really odd errors, and Apache
	 stopped serving regular pages, so I thought it best to stick
	 with Tomcat 4.0 until I had more time to play with the configuration.
	 I then switched the symlink back and removed the 4.0.1 directory.

That's it folks. Now I'm screwed up again and don't know why.

Help!!! (and thank you ...)
-- Robert

Robert Watkins
r-watkins@worldnet.att.net