Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org> on 2008/02/05 11:30:02 UTC

[VOTE] publish missing -sources.jar on maven central (was : apache commons-* -sources.jar)

According to previous discution, the maven -sources.jar bundles that haven't
yet been deployed on maven "central" repository require a PMC vote.

They are just a repackaging of the original -src.zip source distribution,
and are NOT considered as a new release of the considered apache commons
components but only a re-packaging.

staging at http://people.apache.org/~nicolas/missing-commons-sources.jar

Vote open for 72 hours.

[   ] commons-beanutils-1.6-sources.jar
[   ] commons-betwixt-0.5-sources.jar
[   ] commons-betwixt-0.8-sources.jar
[   ] commons-betwixt-1.0-alpha-1-sources.jar
[   ] commons-codec-1.1-sources.jar
[   ] commons-codec-1.2-sources.jar
[   ] commons-configuration-1.0-sources.jar
[   ] commons-dbcp-1.0-sources.jar
[   ] commons-dbcp-1.1-sources.jar
[   ] commons-dbcp-1.2-sources.jar
[   ] commons-dbcp-1.2.2-sources.jar
[   ] commons-dbutils-1.0-sources.jar
[   ] commons-discovery-0.4-sources.jar
[   ] commons-email-1.0-sources.jar
[   ] commons-email-1.1-sources.jar
[   ] commons-fileupload-1.1.1-sources.jar
[   ] commons-httpclient-3.1-sources.jar
[   ] commons-jexl-1.1-sources.jar
[   ] commons-jxpath-1.1-sources.jar
[   ] commons-jxpath-1.2-sources.jar
[   ] commons-launcher-1.1-sources.jar
[   ] commons-logging-1.0.3-sources.jar
[   ] commons-math-1.0-sources.jar
[   ] commons-math-1.1-sources.jar
[   ] commons-modeler-2.0-sources.jar
[   ] commons-net-1.0.0-sources.jar
[   ] commons-net-1.1.0-sources.jar
[   ] commons-net-1.2.0-sources.jar
[   ] commons-net-1.2.1-sources.jar
[   ] commons-net-1.2.2-sources.jar
[   ] commons-net-1.3.0-sources.jar
[   ] commons-pool-1.0-sources.jar
[   ] commons-pool-1.0.1-sources.jar
[   ] commons-pool-1.1-sources.jar
[   ] commons-pool-1.3-sources.jar
[   ] commons-pool-1.4-sources.jar
[   ] commons-primitives-1.0-sources.jar
[   ] commons-scxml-0.5-sources.jar
[   ] commons-scxml-0.6-sources.jar
[   ] commons-scxml-0.7-sources.jar
[   ] commons-transaction-1.0-sources.jar
[   ] commons-transaction-1.0.1-sources.jar
[   ] commons-transaction-1.1-sources.jar
[   ] commons-transaction-1.2-sources.jar
[   ] commons-validator-1.0.2-sources.jar
[   ] commons-validator-1.1.3-sources.jar
[   ] commons-vfs-1.0-sources.jar

Regards,

Nico.

Re: [VOTE] publish missing -sources.jar on maven central (was : apache commons-* -sources.jar)

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.
Right,
Nico.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 5, 2008 2:58 PM, nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org> wrote:

> Most public artifacts on maven "central" have no such cource bundles, even
> recent ones when built with maven. see commons-httpclient 3.1 :-/

In that case, commons-httpclient is

- not using a Maven 2 build
- either not using the commons-parent
- not building its distribution with -Prelease
- or not deploying the -source.jar and -javadoc.jar files.

Jochen

--
Look, that's why there's rules, understand? So that you think before
you break 'em.

    -- (Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time)

Re: [VOTE] publish missing -sources.jar on maven central (was : apache commons-* -sources.jar)

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.
The issue is not to produce those source bundles, but to get them from
project dependencies from public repositories.

Most public artifacts on maven "central" have no such cource bundles, even
recent ones when built with maven. see commons-httpclient 3.1 :-/

The issue discussed here is to repackage archived commons- releases to
complete those missing bundles.

Nico.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Because some IDEs already support source zips.

There are also far fewer IDEs than there are missing source jars.

S///

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Eclipse already does - I'm using the source zips for various commons jars..

No idea about whether Netbeans or Idea support them.

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.
Right,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
-1, for the following reasons:

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
Thought the agreement was to check with the board/legal about the
license files first? Or did I miss that?

cheers
--
Torsten

RE: [VOTE] publish missing -sources.jar on maven central (was : apache commons-* -sources.jar)

Posted by Jörg Schaible <Jo...@Elsag-Solutions.com>.
+100 ... enough ? ;-)

Posted by nicolas de loof <ni...@apache.org>.
I just fixed commons-httpclient to include the NOTICE.txt in META-INF

commons-betwixt 0.5 and commons-jxpath 1.2 source distribution in
http://archive.apache.org/dist/commons/betwixt/source/ does not contain the
required NOTICE...
I've added it manually to fix the source.jars

commons-pool 1.0 is ASL 1.1, but the License file does not uses the ".txt"
extension found in other source distributions. Fixed in the source.jar

Nico.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.