Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Fred Moyer <fr...@taperfriendlymusic.org> on 2008/01/24 11:26:15 UTC

Re: [mp2 patch] Support for Perl 5.10 [Was: MP_CODE_ATTRS() is broken under perl 5.10.0]

> Fred Moyer wrote:
>> [moved to dev list]
>>
> Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>> I was digging into this today trying to increase my knowledge of
>> perl/mod_perl internals and I think I have grokked what you said here
>> about why it is broken with 5.10.0.
>
> Good, because now I understand it *way* better.
>
>> As far as someplace to store this information separately, I'm going to
>> go out on a limb here and look like I don't know what I'm talking about,
>> but here goes, maybe at least I will learn something :)
>>
>> 1) add 'MpHV * codeattrs' somewhere ifdefined for perl > 5.9.5, to store
>> the code attrs along with package name.  maybe server_config is the
>> correct place for this?
>
> That's a very problematic solution. First of all, you need to keep track
> of CV*'s not package names, so you are dealing with pointers. Still, you
> could manage pointer to hash key conversion okay.

Yeah I think I managed to grok that conversion would have to be done, but
didn't have a clue how to go about it.  I've been writing more C lately
but the perl internals stuff still makes my head dizzy trying to take it
all in :)

> So this might be a good patch ;-)
>
> I am curious to find out what this breaks.

Passes all tests here on 5.8.8, darwin.  This looks pretty cool, thanks
for taking the time to explain it.

Apache/2.2.4 mod_perl/2.0.4-dev Perl/v5.8.8