Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2013/07/22 08:52:53 UTC

[SITE] Towards a fresh new design

Hi,

I started a discussion about how make commons more attractive for new
comers a while ago [1]. Since then, I've created a twitter account
[2], cleaned up our ohloh profiles and requested git mirrors for all
proper components from Infra [3].

Now I'd like to take the next step by giving our websites a fresh new
look. I'm planning to use the fluido skin for Maven [4] for this. Why?
It uses twitter bootstrap, which I personally find very appealing.
Secondly, there are not so many other good skins available
(suggestions are welcome!).

Applying fluido and maybe some restructuring of the main site requires
some work, that I'd like to have under version control. I see two
options here:
1. create a branch at https://repos.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/cms-site/branch
2. manually create a git mirror and push it to my github account

I favor 1. but I don't know whether a branch affects buildbot. I'd
like to start with the main site, before handling individual
components. After we have agreed on a design, we can go through all
components and change their design as well.

If nobody objects I'd like to start working on this, asap.

Regards,
Benedikt

[1] http://markmail.org/message/tda7qqjnkwwzwvua
[2] http://twitter.com/ApacheCommons
[4] http://maven.apache.org/skins/maven-fluido-skin/

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/

Re: [SITE] Towards a fresh new design

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
You could also sync up with the work Simo has done in this area already.

Gary

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi Sebb,

2013/7/22 sebb <se...@gmail.com>

> On 22 July 2013 07:52, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I started a discussion about how make commons more attractive for new
> > comers a while ago [1]. Since then, I've created a twitter account
> > [2], cleaned up our ohloh profiles and requested git mirrors for all
> > proper components from Infra [3].
> >
> > Now I'd like to take the next step by giving our websites a fresh new
> > look. I'm planning to use the fluido skin for Maven [4] for this. Why?
> > It uses twitter bootstrap, which I personally find very appealing.
> > Secondly, there are not so many other good skins available
> > (suggestions are welcome!).
> >
> > Applying fluido and maybe some restructuring of the main site requires
> > some work, that I'd like to have under version control. I see two
> > options here:
> > 1. create a branch at
> https://repos.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/cms-site/branch
>
> I think you mean
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/cms-site/branches/

whoops, thanks for spotting :-)

> > 2. manually create a git mirror and push it to my github account
> >
> > I favor 1. but I don't know whether a branch affects buildbot.
>
> Seems very unlikely that a parallel directory structure would affect
> buildbot, but if you want to be sure, ask Infra.

I guess we can take the risk...

> > I'd like to start with the main site, before handling individual
> > components. After we have agreed on a design, we can go through all
> > components and change their design as well.
> >
> > If nobody objects I'd like to start working on this, asap.
>
> Last time this was tried, various aspects of the current site broke
> for components (I think the main site was OK), so it's vital that at
> least one component is also tried before rolling out the design to
> all.
>
> There are some tricky aspects of the current site generation.
> It has to use work-rounds for deficiencies in the Maven site plugin
> w.r.t. relative links and the context in which properties are
> resolved.
> This affects the Commons logo & link; also the trademark notices in
> the page footer.
>
> It took a lot of experimentation to get those working in the current
> design.
> The solution required changes to the parent site.xml file and commons
> skin (site.vm).
> It looks like Fluido requires replacing the current commons skin.
> This would obviously lose our customisations to the site.vm, but
> perhaps Fluido has support for parent/child sites.
>
> Also the current commons skin uses a CSS/JS prettify plugin for making
> Java source code look better. I don't know if that is compatible with
> fluido.
> Of course it could just be dropped as it is not essential, unlike the
> other issues just mentioned (logo/trademarks).
>
> I'm not saying it should not be attempted. Just be aware that there
> are some tricky aspects to get right before any replacement can be
> rolled out.

Thanks for all the comments. I was indeed unaware of the fact, that the
component side builds need some tinkering. So maybe it would be better to
start working on the main site and one component site in parallel. I will
probably do some work on my local machine and upload it to my ASF space
before I start to commit stuff to svn. Simo has signaled that he is willing
to help me with fluido. I'll let you know as soon as I have something
working.

Benedikt

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "dam6923 ." <da...@gmail.com>.
Benedikt,

You may also following Google's approach.  I think it's clever:

"To get help on a specific question or problem, post a question to
Stack Overflow with the tag "guava". We monitor these questions using
this RSS feed."

Clearly, the tag could be "apache-commons."  I mean, the tag already
exists, but it could be better advertised.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,

this is definitely on my list (like so many other things). But I don't see
myself having time for ASF stuff before end of the year. :-(

Benedikt

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Any progress on the new L&F?

Gary