Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Adaryl Wakefield <ad...@hotmail.com> on 2015/02/12 17:45:15 UTC

commodity hardware

Does anybody have a good definition of commodity hardware? I'm having a hard time explaining it to people. I have no idea when a piece of HW is "commodity" or whatever the opposite of commodity is.

B.

Re: commodity hardware

Posted by Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.
Typically that term means standard hardware which should be present per default in an enterprise without any extras like RAID, highSpeed NICs, dual power supply and so on.
But that change more and more, since some new independent frameworks and tools enter the market, like Spark, Kafka, Storm etc.

Conclusion: For me the term "commodity” hardware says quite nothing anymore. Today you need to consider different types of hardware for different use cases. Depends on the goals you want to achieve.

BR,
 Alexander

Re: commodity hardware

Posted by William Temperley <wi...@gmail.com>.
I'd say hardware is commodity when it's purchased to maximize the
performance-to-price ratio, as opposed to just going for optimum
performance, which will always cost a boat-load.

E.g. a 15000 RPM SAS drive is not commodity, but a 7200RPM SATA drive is.

Re: commodity hardware

Posted by William Temperley <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: commodity hardware

Posted by Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.