Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by asdf <fi...@yahoo.com> on 2007/03/15 19:08:41 UTC

WC improvements/benefits from running a 1.4.3 client <--> 1.3.2 server?

If the 1.4.3 client is run against the 1.3.2 server (svnserver), will I be able to
get all the speedups/improvements in WC format that are in the 1.4.3 release?

I am not in a position to upgrade the svnserve server we are currently using (1.3.2)
at the moment, but it is easier to just update the clients that my users are
running.

Are there any other possible issues in running a newer client (1.4.3) against an
older server (1.3.2) ?

Thanks.

Re: WC improvements/benefits from running a 1.4.3 client <--> 1.3.2 server?

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 3/15/07, asdf <fi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> If the 1.4.3 client is run against the 1.3.2 server (svnserver), will I be able to
> get all the speedups/improvements in WC format that are in the 1.4.3 release?

Yes, you will. No, there are no other issues to consider, except that
you won't have the additional benefits from a 1.4 server (whatever
they may be).

HTH,

Erik.

Re: WC improvements/benefits from running a 1.4.3 client <--> 1.3.2 server?

Posted by Larry Martell <la...@gmail.com>.
On 3/15/07, Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/15/07, Larry Martell <la...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > While maybe this be true, it's utterly confusing: if I have 2 systems,
> > > one of which is at 1.3 (and acting as the server), there's no chance
> > > the created repository won't be accessible with the server, since both
> > > svnadmin and the server software are the same version. The other
> > > acting as a client (at 1.4 Subversion) won't have anything to do with
> > > repository creation and will benefit from all working copy
> > > optimizations in the 1.4 version.
> > >
> > > At least, the above was the assumption with which I answered the
> > > question the way I did.
> >
> > The client site I am at right now has this exact situation. They have
> > a 1.3 server,
> > but when you run svnadmin you pick up the 1.4 version.
>
> How is that possible when your system only has 1.3?!

Well, obviously that's not the case ;-) I have only worked at this client
for 4 days. What I have gleaned from speaking with people here is that
they wanted to upgrade their server to 1.4, but they had problems
getting mod_dav_svn to work with 1.4. So they left the server at 1.3, but
didn't remove the 1.4 stuff. By default, svnadmin picks up the 1.4 version.

-larry

Re: WC improvements/benefits from running a 1.4.3 client <--> 1.3.2 server?

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 3/15/07, Larry Martell <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/15/07, Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > If you create a repository with the 1.4 client then the 1.3 server
> > > will not be able to
> > > access it. This is because 1.4 creates format 5 repos, while 1.3
> > > expects format 3.
> >
> > While maybe this be true, it's utterly confusing: if I have 2 systems,
> > one of which is at 1.3 (and acting as the server), there's no chance
> > the created repository won't be accessible with the server, since both
> > svnadmin and the server software are the same version. The other
> > acting as a client (at 1.4 Subversion) won't have anything to do with
> > repository creation and will benefit from all working copy
> > optimizations in the 1.4 version.
> >
> > At least, the above was the assumption with which I answered the
> > question the way I did.
>
> The client site I am at right now has this exact situation. They have
> a 1.3 server,
> but when you run svnadmin you pick up the 1.4 version.

How is that possible when your system only has 1.3?!

bye,

Erik.

Re: WC improvements/benefits from running a 1.4.3 client <--> 1.3.2 server?

Posted by Larry Martell <la...@gmail.com>.
On 3/15/07, Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/15/07, Larry Martell <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 3/15/07, asdf <fi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > If the 1.4.3 client is run against the 1.3.2 server (svnserver), will I be able to
> > > get all the speedups/improvements in WC format that are in the 1.4.3 release?
> > >
> > > I am not in a position to upgrade the svnserve server we are currently using (1.3.2)
> > > at the moment, but it is easier to just update the clients that my users are
> > > running.
> > >
> > > Are there any other possible issues in running a newer client (1.4.3) against an
> > > older server (1.3.2) ?
> >
> > If you create a repository with the 1.4 client then the 1.3 server
> > will not be able to
> > access it. This is because 1.4 creates format 5 repos, while 1.3
> > expects format 3.
>
> While maybe this be true, it's utterly confusing: if I have 2 systems,
> one of which is at 1.3 (and acting as the server), there's no chance
> the created repository won't be accessible with the server, since both
> svnadmin and the server software are the same version. The other
> acting as a client (at 1.4 Subversion) won't have anything to do with
> repository creation and will benefit from all working copy
> optimizations in the 1.4 version.
>
> At least, the above was the assumption with which I answered the
> question the way I did.

The client site I am at right now has this exact situation. They have
a 1.3 server,
but when you run svnadmin you pick up the 1.4 version. Someone created a
repo and it was format 5 (1.4). The 1.3 server would not access it. It
failed with this
message:

Expected format '3' of repository; found format '5'

-larry

Re: WC improvements/benefits from running a 1.4.3 client <--> 1.3.2 server?

Posted by asdf <fi...@yahoo.com>.
--- Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/15/07, Larry Martell <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > If you create a repository with the 1.4 client then the 1.3 server
> > will not be able to
> > access it. This is because 1.4 creates format 5 repos, while 1.3
> > expects format 3.
>
> While maybe this be true, it's utterly confusing: if I have 2 systems,
> one of which is at 1.3 (and acting as the server), there's no chance
> the created repository won't be accessible with the server, since both
> svnadmin and the server software are the same version. The other
> acting as a client (at 1.4 Subversion) won't have anything to do with
> repository creation and will benefit from all working copy
> optimizations in the 1.4 version.
>
> At least, the above was the assumption with which I answered the
> question the way I did.
>
> bye,
>
> Erik.

Right you are Erik. My server (1.3.2) is a separate system and the client systems
won't be able to access the server repositories.

When I do upgrade the server from 1.3.2 to 1.4.3 I intend to purge the old 1.3.2
binaries and libraries from that system prior to installing 1.4.3. That ought to
keep things clean and simple. :)

Thanks for all the replies.
Cheers,

Re: WC improvements/benefits from running a 1.4.3 client <--> 1.3.2 server?

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Larry Martell <la...@gmail.com>.