Posted to user@manifoldcf.apache.org by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/14 22:39:16 UTC

How to determine the set of all possible fields in MCF output?

Hi all, I've been working with MCF the past few days and am very happy
with what it lets me do, and I have a pipeline going from my
repository to Solr which works fine.  But there is one point I clearly
don't understand, which is:

How do you know exactly what fields are going to be output in a given
configuration?  I found that i had to resort to trial and error to
tweak my Solr schema to avoid "undefined field xxxxx" errors from
Manifold when trying to write to Solr.  Now to be fair, clearly I
could just ignore any fields I don't specifically know I want, but I'd
like to understand how this works.

Is it the case that the initial set of fields depends on the
repository connector?  I found that I seemed to get some Alfresco
specific stuff when reading from Alfresco, as opposed to what I got
from a simple dummy file-system repo I was initially experimenting
with.

It also seems that Tika adds some fields, (actually a lot of fields)
even when you don't have a Tika transform wired in explicitly?   Is it
the case that you need to put in an explicit Tika transform if you
want to control which fields are contributed by Tika?

And on that point, is there a master list of possible fields that TIka
will emit, or is Tika just transforming the names of metadata fields
in the documents it encounters, and programmatically generating a
field name?

Any and all help on understanding how this works is greatly appreciated...

Phil
~~~~
This message optimized for indexing by NSA PRISM

Re: How to determine the set of all possible fields in MCF output?

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 7:50 PM, Steph van Schalkwyk <st...@remcam.net>
wrote:

> When you run TIKA standalone on a file, you can see all the emitted fields
> for that particular document type as well as added metadata.

Radical.  Thanks!

Phil

Re: How to determine the set of all possible fields in MCF output?

Posted by Steph van Schalkwyk <st...@remcam.net>.
When you run TIKA standalone on a file, you can see all the emitted fields
for that particular document type as well as added metadata.
<code>

import java.io.File;import java.io.FileInputStream;import java.io.IOException;
import org.apache.tika.exception.TikaException;import
org.apache.tika.metadata.Metadata;import
org.apache.tika.parser.AutoDetectParser;import
org.apache.tika.parser.ParseContext;import
org.apache.tika.parser.Parser;import
org.apache.tika.sax.BodyContentHandler;
import org.xml.sax.SAXException;
public class ParserExtraction {

   public static void main(final String[] args) throws
IOException,SAXException, TikaException {

      //Assume sample.txt is in your current directory
      File file = new File("sample.txt");

      //parse method parameters
      Parser parser = new AutoDetectParser();
      BodyContentHandler handler = new BodyContentHandler();
      Metadata metadata = new Metadata();
      FileInputStream inputstream = new FileInputStream(file);
      ParseContext context = new ParseContext();

      //parsing the file
      parser.parse(inputstream, handler, metadata, context);
      System.out.println("File content : " + Handler.toString());
   }https://www.tutorialspoint.com/tika/tika_content_extraction.htm

*Steph van Schalkwyk*
Principal, Remcam Search Engines
+1.314.452. <+1+314+452+2896>2896    steph@remcam.net   http://remcam.net
<http://www.remcam.net/> Skype: svanschalkwyk
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#>
<http://linkedin.com/in/vanschalkwyk>

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>.
Hmm... I tried the MetadataAdjuster before and unchecked "Keep all
metadata" and it still seemed to send everything through.   Probably I
just did something wrong... I'll try it again.

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Phil,

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Phil,

Posted by Phillip Rhodes <mo...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 7:17 PM, Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> You are correct in asserting that in MCF it is the sum total of all the
> connections that the document passes through that determine its attribute
> set.  That includes transformation connections as well as the repository
> connection.

OK, sounds good.

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Phil,