Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@101tec.com> on 2008/12/16 09:36:49 UTC

[video] visualization of the hadoop code history

Hi friends of Hadoop,

we from ScaleUnlimited.com put together a video that visualize the
code commit history of the Hadoop core project.
It is a neat way of visualizing who is behind the Hadoop source code
and how the project code base grew over the years.

Check it out here:
http://www.scaleunlimited.com/hadoop-resources.html

Best,
Stefan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hadoop training and consulting
http://www.scaleunlimited.com

Re: [video] visualization of the hadoop code history

Posted by Jeff Hammerbacher <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Ha, that's what I get for my short attention span. Rad stuff, sorry for
missing the recognition of the code_swarm utility.

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@101tec.com>.

Posted by Jeff Hammerbacher <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Very cool stuff, but I don't see a reference anywhere to the author of the
visualization, which seems like poor form for a marketing video. I apologize
if I missed a reference somewhere.

Michael Ogawa at UC Davis wrote the code to generate that visualization and
open sourced it at http://code.google.com/p/codeswarm. For more, check out
http://vis.cs.ucdavis.edu/~ogawa/codeswarm.

Posted by Stefan Groschupf <sg...@101tec.com>.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Owen O'Malley wrote:
> It is interesting, but it would be more interesting to track the authors
> of the patch rather than the committer. The two are rarely the same.

Indeed.  There was a period of over a year where I wrote hardly anything
but committed almost everything.  So I am vastly overrepresented in commits.

Doug

Re: [video] visualization of the hadoop code history

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Dec 16, 2008, at 12:36 AM, Stefan Groschupf wrote:

> It is a neat way of visualizing who is behind the Hadoop source code
> and how the project code base grew over the years.

It is interesting, but it would be more interesting to track the
authors of the patch rather than the committer. The two are rarely the
same. I've got some scripts for parsing the CHANGES.txt that pull all
of that apart for each jira. I really should figure out a good place
to check those in. *smile*

-- Owen