Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Tchepannou Hervé <He...@tech-nter.com> on 2003/11/03 17:56:29 UTC

encoding problems with Tapestry-2.x

When Im entering caracters with accent (french character like é, ç etc) in tapestry form @Input component,
when the form get rewinded, those character are replaced in the @Input component by strange character.
I suspect that its bc tapestry uses UTF-8 for encoding.
Is there a place where I can change the default Tapestry encoding?
thanx

Herve Tchepannou

Technologies Nter Inc.
1801, Avenue McGill College, Bureau 930
Montréal (Québec) H3A 2N4
http://www.ntertechnologies.com

(514) 987-2050 poste 4079

Re: encoding problems with Tapestry-2.x

Posted by Rob Van Mieghem <ro...@axelera.net>.
I had the same problem a while and mindbridge told me to check out the
following link:

>This problem was comprehensively handled in Tapestry 3.0 beta-2 and further.
>If you can, please use that version. You should not encounter this issue
>with it.
>
>If you cannot and you need to use 2.x, please see this link:
>http://tapestry.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/EnablingUnicode
>
>It gives a workaround for earlier versions and should resolve the problem as
>well (but with some more work)
>
>I hope this helps
>-mb

The problem is basically that in Tapestry 2.x in BasePage:

 public IMarkupWriter getResponseWriter(OutputStream out)
    {
        return new HTMLWriter(out);
    }

and the constructor of HTMLWriter:
 public HTMLWriter(OutputStream outputStream)
    {
        this("text/html; charset=utf-8", outputStream);
    }

Override getResponseWriter in your page : (charset is hardcoded here, should be your systems locale)

public IMarkupWriter getResponseWriter(OutputStream out) {
	return new HTMLWriter("text/html; charset=iso-8859-1",out);
}

Greetings,

Rob