Posted to user@xmlbeans.apache.org by Peter Becker <Pe...@iteratec.de> on 2006/10/27 17:18:23 UTC

Base64Binary truncated

Hello,

we encountered a problem when using XMLBeans where an element containing
base64binary code gets truncated in very special situations. What we do
is basically the following:

  - generate a Java model from the XSD for the Visio XML format
(DatadiagramML, .vxd)
  - use that to read an existing Visio document
  - add a number of shapes onto the first page
  - download the result through a web application

In our example the last part of the VXD file is some Visual Basic code
that Visio stores as base64 encoded BLOB. In some very rare combinations
of what we do this base64 block will get truncated, causing Visio to
reject the file. We do not touch this part at all and it is not the
stream that is truncated: the end tags are still there. A diff between a
working and a broken file shows the expected minor differences in the
central part plus the missing 50+ lines of base64 code at the end.

This behaviour was reported while using XML Beans 2.0.0, an upgrade to
2.2.0 did not help.

Is there some known issue in XML Beans that relates to this? Any ideas
where I could start debugging?

At the moment the reproducable bug requires a number of settings in the
webapp and some particular DB state; before I go through all the work of
creating an isolated test case I'd just like to know if I really need too.

All hints are welcome.

Cheers,
    Peter

PS: we are doing this for a while now (2.0.0 was current then) and at
that time Castor didn't like the XSD at all and JAXB failed the test of
just loading and saving a basic XSD -- XML Beans was the only one that
worked for us (it generates 996 source files for this XSD). This is the
first time we ran into a problem which we assume to be XML Beans related
(yet to be proven). Congrats ;-)