Posted to user@tika.apache.org by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2018/01/22 16:06:03 UTC

Re: Tika-parsers using cat-x json.org dep and is geoapis ok?

tika team

bumping this thread as i beleive tika is using a non asl/asf compatible
library.

thanks
joe

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>.
And…looks like Tim already did that thanks Tim! ☺ And Joe…

From: Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>
Date: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 8:25 AM
To: "user@tika.apache.org" <us...@tika.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Tika-parsers using cat-x json.org dep and is geoapis ok?

Thanks for checking into this Joe. This seems odd but really isn’t Tika has a direct
dependency then on GeoAPI which is clearly something that should be included if you
are using SIS. It may just be in tika-parsers directly since that’s where we aggregate all
of the sub parsers and their dependencies (for building OSGI, etc etc.)

The root of this issue is not in Tika though I can say that for sure – this is a dependency
introduced from using SIS. If modern versions of SIS have moved on to a dependency
that seems to be licensed less obtusely, perhaps we should just upgrade Tika to use
that newer SIS and be done with it?

Separately, it would be good to know what SIS folks think mostly b/c I have no clue
what GeoAPI does precisely other than it’s a dpendency from SIS.

Sorry for more confusion 😉

Cheers,

Chris

From: Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 7:04 AM
To: "user@tika.apache.org" <us...@tika.apache.org>

i said yep to be agreeable then thought...

the problem dependency isnt coming in transitively via apache sis.  it is a dependency tika parsers pulls in itself via geoapis.

https://github.com/apache/tika/blob/master/tika-parsers/pom.xml

ill raise the license question on legal but ill avoid bugging the sis folks just yet.

thanks

joe

On Jan 23, 2018 9:58 AM, "Joe Witt" <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

yep.  sounds fair

On Jan 23, 2018 9:52 AM, "Chris Mattmann" <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

Hi Joe,

Great analysis.

Can you do me a favor:

1. Raise a LEGAL JIRA with the below insight.
2. Contact the Apache SIS PMC and ask them how they
dealt with it? SIS is an ASF project and is expected to be following ASF
release guidelines which gives me confidence in the product (and its dependencies that
they ship). Martin Desruisseaux is an ASF member and their Chair and is very thorough
I'm sure they ran into this and have some idea.

Tika should action (or not) based on #1 and 2 above. Sound good?

Cheers,
Chris Mattmann
(wearing his VP, Legal hat).

On 1/23/18, 5:53 AM, "Joe Witt" <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Chris

    Bottom line up front: Is
    https://github.com/unitsofmeasurement/jsr-275/blob/0.9.3/LICENSE.txt
    Category A or Category B?

    ****** a bunch of words to explain why I'm asking ****

    I truly do not wish to create a problem where there is none.  L&N is
    truly a painful thing.  That said, based on my experience and current
    understanding of ASF policies and guidance I do believe there is a
    problem.

    If you think this thread is better on legal-discuss please let me
    know.  My hope in starting the thread here was to get a 'yep this is a
    known thing - we cleared it with legal - here is a mailing list thread
    or JIRA or something'.

    What I believe to be true is that there are binary artifacts which are
    under licenses.  Those licenses are either compatible with the ASF
    legal policy or they are not and specifically they're either listed as
    Category-A or Category-B from
    https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html.  If they're not you cannot
    use them as binary dependencies until they are on that list.

    What is also true is that apache-tika-parsers version 1.16 (at least)
    depends on org/opengis/geoapi 3.0.0 which depends on
    javax.measure.jsr-275:0.9.3.  That artifact appears to be under this
    license: https://github.com/unitsofmeasurement/jsr-275/blob/0.9.3/LICENSE.txt.

    Plainly, from my quick read and review that binary artifact
    (jsr-275:0.9.3) does not appear to be a Category A or Category B
    license.  Do you believe it is?  If yes which Cat-A/Cat-B is it
    considered to be?  Is there a mailing list thread, Legal-Discuss, or
    L&N entry in Tika that calls this out so I can reference that?

    Now for more general background:
    There are all kinds of threads on the Internet about the problems with
    JSR-275 and that JSR-363 is the way to go to move on with regard to
    the unit of measure work, etc..

    If you look at the source for opengis/geoapi which I believe is here
    https://github.com/opengeospatial/geoapi/tree/3.0.0 which is what
    tika-parsers uses then it will pull in the jsr-275:jar:0.9.3.

    If you look at the source for opengis/geoapi for latest milestone
    release https://github.com/opengeospatial/geoapi/tree/4.0-M06 you can
    see they've moved on from JSR-275 and now use JSR-363.

    Further, the Apache SIS project in their Nov 2017 release 0.8
    (Tika-parsers 1.16 uses apache sis 0.6) clearly stated in their NOTICE
    they depend on JSR-363.  Not sure if they were specifically relying on
    JSR-275 before that or not as it isn't called out.

    Thanks
    Joe

From: Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 at 7:04 AM
To: "user@tika.apache.org" <us...@tika.apache.org>

Posted by "Allison, Timothy B." <ta...@mitre.org>.
Fixed via TIKA-2535 in both 1.18 and 2.0.  Thank you, Joe and Chris!

Here is the legal JIRA to ask about the categorization of that license

Thanks
Joe

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.