Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ge...@iacnet.com on 1998/01/23 12:35:47 UTC

Re: NL: IBM Pays Million To Sponsor Super Bowl Site (fwd)

Speaking of monitoring thing like
Server: Apache/1.3b4-dev

Are there any "artifacts of implementation" for the TCP implementations from
the major vendors which can be used to heuristically determine which
operating system is being run on a web server machine?

For example,
$ http-get http://www.lotus.com/ :header=only
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Server: Lotus-Domino/4.5
Date: Friday, 23-Jan-98 11:29:42 GMT

Simple enough, but I'm curious as to if this is running on an NT or Solaris
or some other box.

Of course if the thing is behind a firewall then any TCP artifacts
would pertain to the firewall.

-gjc

Re: NL: IBM Pays Million To Sponsor Super Bowl Site (fwd)

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> I wonder if you could characterize tcp responses... that would at least
> put it into various classes... NT, solaris, linux, *bsd all have different
> tcp behaviour.  But that'd be one heck of a tool to write.

See mumble's paper on tcpanl(y?) (or whatever it is called) when they
tried to build something and failed miserabely and became resigned to
doing it by hand.

The paper is at home, can't remember the author's name.

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.