Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Juliano Simões <ju...@axios.com.br> on 2004/11/11 18:58:12 UTC

auto-whitelist file size

Hi all,

We started usign AWL on our site-wide setup after upgrading
from 2.64 to 3.0.1.

As I was checking system files today, I noticed that the
auto-whitelist file size is 163MB, and growing.

Is there a way to limit the size of auto-whitelist or expire
some of its entries?

I checked SA documentation and found no information on this
issue.

Regards,

Juliano Simões
Gerente de Tecnologia
Axios Tecnologia e Serviços
http://www.axios.com.br
juliano@axios.com.br
+55 41 324-1993
Central Server, a melhor estrutura da web para hospedar seu site!
http://www.centralserver.com.br

Re: auto-whitelist file size (Tips @ Tricks)

Posted by Klaus Pforte <kl...@gmx.de>.
A small dialogue with the creator of the script "trim_whitelist":

Kris Deugau wrote:

 >> You've probably got a different type of file for your AWL;  my systems
 >> all use "DB_File" (BerkeleyDB) AWL and Bayes files.  The default on
many
 >> systems is something else.  :/
 >>
 >> Run "file <awl file>" and see what comes back.  Exactly what comes back
 >> will depend heavily on exactly how your Perl install is set up to
handle
 >> tied hashes.  Try changing the "tie ..." statements to use
"AnyDBM_File"
 >> rather than "DB_File" and that should help.  Note that the filenames
may
 >> endup mangled;  some of the tied hash types include filename extensions
 >> and some don't.  :(

All perfect:
file type: Berkeley DB (Hash, version 5, native byte-order)
file name: auto-whitelist.db
I have a zero byte file "auto-whitelist" too.

In the script I wrote the file name without ".db".
All runs smooth with "AnyDBM_File".
File size down from 60 MB to 7 MB!
Great!

Re: auto-whitelist file size

Posted by Bill Landry <bi...@pointshare.com>.

Re: auto-whitelist file size

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.
On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 03:58:12PM -0200, Juliano Simões wrote:

> Is there a way to limit the size of auto-whitelist or expire
> some of its entries?

There is no auto expire for AWL.  It is a planned feature, sorry don't
have the bug number handy.  You can manually expire entries.  Assuming
you have a recent release, look at tool/check_whitelist.  It has a
--clean option that will let you get rid of some entries.

Michael

--
ApacheCon November 13-17 2004 http://www.apachecon.com/
See three SpamAssassin sessions & more