Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tyrel Haveman <ty...@binarypeople.net> on 2017/04/11 16:51:13 UTC

tomcat-embed-logging-juli not updated in Maven Central?

Hi!

I'm in the process of upgrading an embedded Tomcat project from 8.0.x to
8.5.x. I noticed that tomcat-embed-logging-juli is not in the Maven central
repository since version 8.5.2, even though the other jars are up to
8.5.13. What has happened here? Is this jar no longer needed, is 8.5.2 just
the latest version, or is there a problem with publishing it?

Thanks!
Tyrel

Re: tomcat-embed-logging-juli not updated in Maven Central?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 11/04/17 18:17, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 11/04/17 17:51, Tyrel Haveman wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm in the process of upgrading an embedded Tomcat project from 8.0.x to
>> 8.5.x. I noticed that tomcat-embed-logging-juli is not in the Maven central
>> repository since version 8.5.2, even though the other jars are up to
>> 8.5.13. What has happened here? Is this jar no longer needed, is 8.5.2 just
>> the latest version, or is there a problem with publishing it?
>
> It is no longer supported. You should be able to use log4j2 and its
> standard mechanism for intercepting java.util.logging

Sorry. I should have expanded on that.

There used to be two options, juli and log4j. Essentially these were two
concrete implementations of a Tomcat defined logging API based very
heavily on commons logging. The default implementation used
java.util.logging.

log4j is no longer supported. Its replacement, log4j2, can hook directly
into the java.util.logging framework. Therefore, there is no need for
the separate modules. The classes from the tomcat-embed-logging-juli JAR
were merged into the core JAR.

Mark

Re: tomcat-embed-logging-juli not updated in Maven Central?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.