Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by dchazin <ch...@yahoo.com> on 2010/01/20 06:23:08 UTC

Question about configuring activemq for sending large messages

I am having problems with the following configuration and I hope someone can
shed some light on my problem.
I have a persistent topic with one producer and one consumer. The producer
puts out 5 messages per hour. Each message is approximately 45MB in size and
is sent as a serialized java object.
I have turned off producer FlowControl and increased the producer memory
limit in the broker and also turned off timeouts in the broker. However I
consistently get ChannelClosed exceptions after a few messages are sent.
I have tried disabling timeouts on the producer and consumer and when I do
this the producer appears to deadlock (i.e. hang) after less than 10
messages.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Question about configuring activemq for sending large messages

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
Something that may help to reduce the memory usage by the broker is a
prefetch of 1 for your consumer and lazyDispatch=true for your destination.
This should ensure that only one message is kept in memory by the broker at
a time.

What does jconsole say about your broker (w.r.t memory usage) when your
broker is hung?

2010/1/20 dchazin <ch...@yahoo.com>

> I am having problems with the following configuration and I hope someone
> can
> shed some light on my problem.
> I have a persistent topic with one producer and one consumer. The producer
> puts out 5 messages per hour. Each message is approximately 45MB in size
> and
> is sent as a serialized java object.
> I have turned off producer FlowControl and increased the producer memory
> limit in the broker and also turned off timeouts in the broker. However I
> consistently get ChannelClosed exceptions after a few messages are sent.
> I have tried disabling timeouts on the producer and consumer and when I do
> this the producer appears to deadlock (i.e. hang) after less than 10
> messages.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

http://blog.garytully.com

Open Source Integration