Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> on 2005/05/24 00:27:46 UTC

cmsuis_en missing

Hi

When I startup Lenya then I receive the following message

java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/home/michi/build/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24-LE-jdk14/webapps/lenya/lenya/resources/i18n/cmsui_en.xml
(No such file or directory)

Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: Lenya system requirements

Posted by so...@gmail.com.
On 5/25/05, J. Wolfgang Kaltz <ka...@interactivesystems.info> wrote:
> solprovider@gmail.com schrieb:
> > On 5/24/05, J. Wolfgang Kaltz <ka...@interactivesystems.info> wrote:
> > Then start a Wiki page for "KnownConfigurations":
> > Lenya, Cocoon, XSL, JRE, JSP Server, WebServer
>
> Would you care to start that Wiki page ?
> I am not familiar enough with Wiki formats to know if your ideas can be
> represented there (such as "Use a combined table with light green
> (good), yellow (conflicting reports), and pink (bad) backgrounds.") but
> it sounds like a good idea.
> Wolfgang

I can write HTML.  I have no experience with Wiki (or most basic OSS
tools), but some Wiki pages have formatting.  If I was designing an
application, I would store all the data including the email addresses
of the submitter (hidden from display), then automatically choose the
colors by comparing goods vs. bads.  Would also want a Form so updates
do not require work; that should be publically available.  I could
build this in Lenya if we move to Lenya for documentation.

Should add a comment field, especially for bad configs.  Then we have
issue with approving the text.

One concern if we move to Lenya for documentation: would the proposed
new system track who made each change?  If the SVN updates are
nightly, would individual edits be grouped into one "system" update?
Then the Lenya app would need accountability tracking.

---
So is Tomcat3.3 the lowest acceptable version?

Installation Instructions Revision Attempt #3:
"1. Get Apache Tomcat for JDK 1.4
Lenya is developed and tested with Tomcat 5.0.28; it is assumed in the
following instructions, and we highly recommend it.
Lenya uses the Java Servlet 2.2 specification, and may be compatible
with any version of Tomcat since the 3.3.0 release, but must use
Java 1.4.2.  See <A>Known good configurations.</A>"

solprovider

Re: Lenya system requirements

Posted by "J. Wolfgang Kaltz" <ka...@interactivesystems.info>.
solprovider@gmail.com schrieb:
> On 5/24/05, J. Wolfgang Kaltz <ka...@interactivesystems.info> wrote:
>
>>I am not aware of any *Lenya* specific restrictions, AFAIK the
>>system requirements are those of Cocoon. As you can see in
>>http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/installing/index.html#Installing+Cocoon
>>there are always differences between versions.
>>In fact, for my previous Cocoon app I hung on to Tomcat 3.3 as long as I
>>could in production, because I found it much leaner and stabler than
>>Tomcat 4. AFAIK Lenya should work fine on Tomcat 3.3 as well.
>

> Aarrgh!  When I started, the server already had Tomcat3.3 installed
> with mod_jk working.  Tomcat4 was unstable then.  I never tried
> Tomcat3 with Lenya because the Installation Instructions made it very
> clear anything less than Tomcat5.0.28 would not work.  What forced you
> to upgrade?

Nothing technical, just the usual "it's obsolete" rhetoric. From my
part-time sysadmin perspective, my preference would actually be to use
whatever Java + Servlet container is available out-of-the-box on the
server's system. Unfortunately that is currently not the case.

Posted by "J. Wolfgang Kaltz" <ka...@interactivesystems.info>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss schrieb:
> solprovider@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Installation Instructions Revision Attempt #2:
>> 1. Get Apache Tomcat for JDK 1.4
>> Lenya is developed and tested with Tomcat 5.0.28; it is assumed in the
>> following instructions, and we highly recommend it.
>> Lenya uses the Java Servlet 2.2 specification, and may be compatible
>> with any version of Tomcat since the initial 3.0 release, but must use
>> Java 1.4.2.  See <A>Known good configurations.</A>
>

> 2.3 actually. 2.2 does not have the getResourceAsStream()

Actually, according to
http://servlets.com/soapbox/servlet21.html and
http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/2.1/api/javax.servlet.ServletContext.html

this was introduced in API 2.1.
So Tomcat 3.3 shouldn't be a problem.

I can imagine (as solprovider indicated) that there are still many of
these around in production, so Lenya should work on such existing
installations (assuming the current xml libraries can be added and do
not cause incompatibilities with other running webapps)

--
Wolfgang

Re: Lenya system requirements

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
solprovider@gmail.com wrote:

> Installation Instructions Revision Attempt #2:
> 1. Get Apache Tomcat for JDK 1.4
> Lenya is developed and tested with Tomcat 5.0.28; it is assumed in the
> following instructions, and we highly recommend it.
> Lenya uses the Java Servlet 2.2 specification, and may be compatible
> with any version of Tomcat since the initial 3.0 release, but must use
> Java 1.4.2.  See <A>Known good configurations.</A>

2.3 actually. 2.2 does not have the getResourceAsStream()

> Then start a Wiki page for "KnownConfigurations":
> Lenya, Cocoon, XSL, JRE, JSP Server, WebServer

good idea

Re: Lenya system requirements (was: Re: cmsuis_en missing)

Posted by so...@gmail.com.
On 5/24/05, J. Wolfgang Kaltz <ka...@interactivesystems.info> wrote:
> I am not aware of any *Lenya* specific restrictions, AFAIK the
> system requirements are those of Cocoon. As you can see in
> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/installing/index.html#Installing+Cocoon
> there are always differences between versions.
> In fact, for my previous Cocoon app I hung on to Tomcat 3.3 as long as I
> could in production, because I found it much leaner and stabler than
> Tomcat 4. AFAIK Lenya should work fine on Tomcat 3.3 as well.

Aarrgh!  When I started, the server already had Tomcat3.3 installed
with mod_jk working.  Tomcat4 was unstable then.  I never tried
Tomcat3 with Lenya because the Installation Instructions made it very
clear anything less than Tomcat5.0.28 would not work.  What forced you
to upgrade?

> solprovider@gmail.com schrieb:
> > Would someone please update the Installation Instructions with a note
> > about other known good versions of Tomcat?

On 5/24/05, J. Wolfgang Kaltz <ka...@interactivesystems.info> wrote:
> That sounds reasonable to me, are there any objections ?
>
> Started out with Tomcat 4 (as shipped in Suse 9.0) for several months,
> now running Tomcat 5 (self downloaded because of problems in SuSE 9.2's
> shipped version)
>
> For dev purposes I use the Jetty that comes along. If the system
> packages included Jetty I would have switched to that at the last server
> update; in fact I may still do so anyway.

Installation Instructions Revision Attempt #2:
1. Get Apache Tomcat for JDK 1.4
Lenya is developed and tested with Tomcat 5.0.28; it is assumed in the
following instructions, and we highly recommend it.
Lenya uses the Java Servlet 2.2 specification, and may be compatible
with any version of Tomcat since the initial 3.0 release, but must use
Java 1.4.2.  See <A>Known good configurations.</A>

Then start a Wiki page for "KnownConfigurations":
Lenya, Cocoon, XSL, JRE, JSP Server, WebServer

Recommendations:
Lenya 1.2.2, Cocoon 2.1.7,
jakarta-bcel-20040329/jakarta-regexp-1.3/xalan-2.6.0/xercesImpl-2.6.2,
j2sdk1.4.2, None, None

Lenya 1.2.2, Cocoon 2.1.7,
jakarta-bcel-20040329/jakarta-regexp-1.3/xalan-2.6.0/xercesImpl-2.6.2,
j2sdk1.4.2, Tomcat5.0.28, None

Mine:
Lenya 1.2.2, Cocoon 2.1.6,
jakarta-bcel-20040329/jakarta-regexp-1.3/xalan-2.6.1-dev-20041008T0304/xercesImpl-2.6.2,
j2sdk1.4.2_08, Tomcat5.0.28, Apache 2.0.53

I upgraded j2sdk1.4.2_06 to j2sdk1.4.2_08 to stop Tomcat from
crashing.  We should also track bad combinations.  Replace the SDK in
my list for a bad config.  Use a combined table with light green
(good), yellow (conflicting reports), and pink (bad) backgrounds.

Keep it sorted, JSP Server first so new users can pick the
Lenya-related software compatible with their current installation.

Hey everybody,
   What is your software configuration for Lenya?  Please use the
above format, and very specific versions.

Once the Wiki page is up, we should ask for data from the Users ml.

solprovider

On 5/25/05, Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> wrote:
> Sorry to say this, but it's ridiculous to focus on 5.0.28!
>
> It should/might depend on the servlet API version, but certainly not on
> a specific servlet container implementation.
>
> Michi

This conversation is now on 3 threads; hopefully everyone will respond
here (as it has the best Subject.)  This is mostly a repeat of my
response to "Lenya system requirements (was: Re: cmsuis_en missing)".
I think the new phrasing solves your issue.

[...]

We should also track bad combinations.  Use a combined table with light green

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>>> it's a recommendation. what is the problem again?
>>

>> just think of a user which is running another Tomcat version or a
>> completely other servlet container reading the sentence above ... and
>> also put it in the context of backwards compatibility.

> what is the problem again?

the original problem was that I noticed an error re cmsuis_en. That's
the problem
and all the other problems we had re backwards compatibility so far.

I am very tired of these kind of discussions and I just would like to be
able to expect
that people take care when changing stuff such that it stays backwards
compatible
and not just focuse on their private settings.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Posted by "J. Wolfgang Kaltz" <ka...@interactivesystems.info>.
solprovider@gmail.com schrieb:
> (...)
> Would someone please update the Installation Instructions with a note
> about other known good versions of Tomcat?
>
> "1. Get Apache Tomcat for JDK 1.4
> Lenya is developed and tested with Tomcat 5.0.28; it is assumed in the
> following instructions, and we highly recommend it.
> Tomcat 4.0.0+, 4.1.24+, 5.0.18+ and 5.5.0+ should work too."

That sounds reasonable to me, are there any objections ?

Actually I am not aware of any *Lenya* specific restrictions, AFAIK the
system requirements are those of Cocoon. As you can see in
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/installing/index.html#Installing+Cocoon
there are always differences between versions.
In fact, for my previous Cocoon app I hung on to Tomcat 3.3 as long as I
could in production, because I found it much leaner and stabler than
Tomcat 4. AFAIK Lenya should work fine on Tomcat 3.3 as well.

> Use the oldest possible versions in the documentation: 4.1.0?
>
> Hey everybody,
>   What versions of Tomcat are you using with Lenya 1.2.2?

Started out with Tomcat 4 (as shipped in Suse 9.0) for several months,
now running Tomcat 5 (self downloaded because of problems in SuSE 9.2's
shipped version)

For dev purposes I use the Jetty that comes along. If the system
packages included Jetty I would have switched to that at the last server
update; in fact I may still do so anyway.

--
Wolfgang

Re: cmsuis_en missing

Posted by so...@gmail.com.
On 5/24/05, Gregor J. Rothfuss <gr...@apache.org> wrote:
> solprovider@gmail.com wrote:
> > Lenya is developed and tested with Tomcat 5.0.28; it is assumed in the
> > following instructions, and we highly recommend it.
> > Tomcat 4.0.0+, 4.1.24+, 5.0.18+ and 5.5.0+ should work too.
>
> applied, thanks

Um, I do not know the true numbers.  That was an example to get
started.  Wolfgang moved the discussion to a new thread, and I just
posted what may be better text there (along with some other ideas.)

solprovider

Re: cmsuis_en missing

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
solprovider@gmail.com wrote:
> Lenya is developed and tested with Tomcat 5.0.28; it is assumed in the
> following instructions, and we highly recommend it.
> Tomcat 4.0.0+, 4.1.24+, 5.0.18+ and 5.5.0+ should work too.

applied, thanks

Re: cmsuis_en missing

Posted by so...@gmail.com.
On 5/24/05, Gregor J. Rothfuss <gr...@apache.org> wrote:
> J. Wolfgang Kaltz wrote:
> > Lenya's recommendation for Tomcat 5 is (in my eyes) because the build
> > scripts rely on that structuring and because most devs seem to test on
> > Tomcat 5, meaning it is a platform under which Lenya has been more
> > widely tested.
>
> exactly. tomcat 5 has also come out faster in benchmarks.
> but if you care about speed, you use jetty :)
>
> so in essence, i would recommend against running on tomcat 4

Recommendations are not requirements.  WindowsXP can run on a 3Ghz
Pentium4 with 2GB RAM, but MS recommends a 10Ghz Pentium6 with 16GB
RAM if you want decent performance.

My big development/administration experience with Tomcat was 3.3.  I
am probably happier now with Lenya running under Tomcat5 than I would
have been with Tomcat4 (except the installation I finally got working
does not have the Rewrite module.  Oops.)

The Installation Instructions imply that Tomcat 5.0.28 is required.
That will scare away new people with existing Tomcat 4 production
servers from trying Lenya because they think they must upgrade before
using Lenya.  The documentation is most of the marketing Lenya has.
Anything that scares away potential customers is very bad.  I still
worry about advertising features Lenya does not have.

Would someone please update the Installation Instructions with a note
about other known good versions of Tomcat?

"1. Get Apache Tomcat for JDK 1.4
Lenya is developed and tested with Tomcat 5.0.28; it is assumed in the
following instructions, and we highly recommend it.
Tomcat 4.0.0+, 4.1.24+, 5.0.18+ and 5.5.0+ should work too."

Use the oldest possible versions in the documentation: 4.1.0?

Hey everybody,
  What versions of Tomcat are you using with Lenya 1.2.2?

solprovider

Re: cmsuis_en missing

Posted by so...@gmail.com.
On 5/25/05, Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> wrote:
> this thread shouldn't be about Tomcat 5 versus 4 versus Jetty.
>
> A lot of individuals and companies cannot just switch to another servlet
> container, because they might have other stuff running, etc.
>
> It's about backwards compatibility. I don't mind repeating myself, but
> this is a very important issue for Lenya. If the Lenya community
>doesn't think so, then it will be soon dead company wise, because
> people are not going to use it in the long run and  it's just going to be a toy.
>
> Michi

I agree.  That is why my response on the "Re: Lenya system
requirements" thread suggests listing known good configurations by the
JSP server.  My trial of Lenya used the Windows install and Jetty.  My
server already had Tomcat3.3 installed; I would have used it if the
instructions were not so emphatic about Tomcat5.0.28.  Luckily (?)  we
were not currently running Tomcat, so upgrading was not a
show-stopper, although I still lost days trying to get the mostly
undocumented Tomcat5 to talk to Apache.  Check my response in the
other thread for how I believe this should be pursued to not scare
potential users.

solprovider

Re: cmsuis_en missing

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Re: cmsuis_en missing

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

Re: cmsuis_en missing

Posted by "J. Wolfgang Kaltz" <jw...@apache.org>.
solprovider@gmail.com schrieb:
> Ignore the request for help.  I finally got it to work.  All I had to
> do was ask for help.
>
> Still have the question: Does Lenya 1.2.2 work on Tomcat 4.1?
>
> It took the latest JVM from Sun (j2sdk1.4.2_08) and fixing many
> obscure and wrong default settings to get Tomcat5 to work with Apache.
>  Most people would have admitted defeat weeks ago.  Tomcat 4 has much
> better documentation, and a much larger community.  Lenya would
> benefit from not requiring (or seeming to require) Tomcat 5.

The functional differences that Lenya might require from a servlet
container are those of the servlet specification.

According to
http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html
"Tomcat 4 is an implementation of the Java Servlet 2.3 specification"
AFAIK Tomcat 5 implements the 2.4 spec.

So the question is, does Lenya rely on anything introduced in the 2.4
spec. AFAIK this is not the case at this time, and I can't see anything
in the changes chapter of the spec which would cause that to change.

Lenya's recommendation for Tomcat 5 is (in my eyes) because the build
scripts rely on that structuring and because most devs seem to test on
Tomcat 5, meaning it is a platform under which Lenya has been more
widely tested.

My 0,02 €  ;)

--
Wolfgang

Re: cmsuis_en missing

Posted by so...@gmail.com.

On 5/24/05, Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> wrote:
> Tomcat 4.1.24 works very fine. Old doesn't mean bad ;-)
> Michi

The installation instructions insist on Tomcat "5.0.28 or newer, 5.5.x
should work too."
http://lenya.apache.org/1_2_x/installation/source_version.html

There is very little documentation about Tomcat 5, and much of that
little is wrong.  Does Lenya 1.2.2 work on Tomcat 4.1?

Lenya is working under Tomcat5, but I have yet to get Tomcat5 and
Apache to talk.  I keep trying different combinations ot software;
Tomcat 1.4 would expand the possibilities.  My specs are:
1. Simple virtual web sites (configured on Apache 1.3.27 and 2.0.38)
2. Lenya with URL rewriting.
3. All served on port 80.
I can move the simple websites to Domino or Lenya, but the Lenya
website must rewrite the URLs; I believe that is currently only
possible with Apache.

solprovider

Re: cmsuis_en missing

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> When I startup Lenya then I receive the following message
>>
>> java.io.FileNotFoundException:
>> /home/michi/build/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24-LE-jdk14/webapps/lenya/lenya/resources/i18n/cmsui_en.xml
>> (No such file or directory)
>>
>> Any idea what might be wrong?
>

> nothing wrong, that's how the locale lookup of the i18n transformer
> works. the english one is at cmsui.xml (the fallback)

that's what I thought, but why the error?

Re: cmsuis_en missing

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.