Posted to dev@distributedlog.apache.org by Asko Kauppi <as...@zalando.fi> on 2016/12/14 06:12:22 UTC

Introduction - wanting to work on the documentation

Hi all,

my name is Asko Kauppi and I work as a technical Agility Coach at the
Zalando Helsinki site we started in 2015.

I'm interested in persistent message buses in general, because I see them
offering a new kind of way to do microservices. Instead of each service
being responsible for its state we can now store the state "in between" and
have stateless filters.

I know Kafka, Akka Streams and RxJS rather well. DistributedLog to me looks
like a simpler, maybe lighter Kafka - I'm not for the normal big data use
cases but simply stream programming, in small and medium size range (MBs to
maybe 1 GB).

The documentation is something I'd like to help with - it also allows me to
learn DistributedLog well I hope. Instead of starting to make PRs I'd like
to discuss goals and tools first, with some people already looking into the
documentation. I'm very keen on detail and optimizing text for the reading
experience (good flow).

During next week (week 51), we are running a Hackweek and I might try out
DistributedLog on a Raspberry Pi cluster, if all goes well.

- Asko Kauppi

Re: Introduction - wanting to work on the documentation

Posted by Sijie Guo <si...@twitter.com.INVALID>.
Welcome Asko!

We have two major outstanding tasks for improving the documentation, one is
for user guide (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DL-53), while the
other one is for admin guide (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DL-54).

Anything that will help user to understand the system and play/program with
this cluster should go in 'user guide'; anything that is related to
operating the system (e.g how to deploy, how to collect metrics, how to do
capacity planning, choose hardware and performance tuning) should go in
'admin guide'.

The user guide is under
http://distributedlog.incubator.apache.org/docs/latest/user_guide/main.html
and the admin guide is
http://distributedlog.incubator.apache.org/docs/latest/admin_guide/main.html

You are welcome to contribute any documentation changes. You can also
contribute tutorials, blog posts to share your experience with the
community.

The source code of the website is under :
https://github.com/apache/incubator-distributedlog/tree/master/website and
the documentation is under
https://github.com/apache/incubator-distributedlog/tree/master/docs We used
jekyll for generating the static content for website and documentation. You
can check the REAME files under website and docs directories for
instructions.

If you are planning to reorganize the structure for better read
experiencing, it would be good to start an email to discuss before making
changes. Currently some of the folks are following KIP like proposal flow
for major changes. Although we don't have finalized the workflow, you can
check out https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DL/Project+Proposals as
examples.

Hope all make sense. Let me know if you have more questions. Look forward
to your contributions.

- Sijie