Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by solo turn <so...@yahoo.com> on 2003/05/14 10:32:12 UTC

eol: how to?

i did the regular "svn up" on unix, compiled, and installed without
checking it (yes ... i know ... but it seemd 0.22.2, so safe?): now
it segfaults.

so i tried to mount the drive via samba to nt, then do a "svn up"
from there.

but the files updated have now different line-endings. and make
chokes.

is there a simple possibility to tell "svn up" that it should not
touch line-ending style, or set it for the check out?

Re: how to?

Posted by William Uther <wi...@cse.unsw.edu.au>.
On Wednesday, May 14, 2003, at 08:37  PM, Sander Striker wrote:

> Btw, what you are doing is asking for trouble.  You have checked out
> the working copy on platform A (*nix I presume) and are trying to
> update that very same working copy on platform B (win32).  This blows
> right up when svn:eol-style is set to 'native'.

Working copies are supposed to be portable.  Making working copies only
portable between identical platforms will cause confusion.

Would it be worthwhile adding a "converted style" flag to the entries
file?  Then, if a working copy is moved from one platform to another,
at least svn could detect that the converted style was wrong, and
re-convert to native on 'svn up'.  (in a first pass it could just bail
out).

Will         :-}

--
Dr William Uther                            National ICT Australia
Phone: +61 2 9385 6926             School of Computer Science and

RE: how to?

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.
> is an additional option to "svn up" a possibility, like "svn up
> --eol-style=unix"?
>
> or is it the best thing to just run "find ... -exec perl -i -pe
> 's/^M//g' {}" on the whole tree?

There are files that should not have their content translated, even if
it does happen to look like a ^M.  Maybe there aren't any in your tree
(if you only have source code, that's likely), but you can start with
"anything binary."  That seems to rule out the "find/perl" trick.

The switch to "svn up" is interesting, so long as it only affects
handling of things with svn:eol-style=native.  Might be better if its
name had 'native' in it, or 'platform' ... "--eol-style-platform=unix",
perhaps?

If there were such a switch, I think it should be cached so that the
sequence

	svn up --eol-style-platform=unix
	svn up

Would get unix line endings both times; if you change your mind, you'd
need an explicit reuse of --eol-style-platform.

And that means it needs a "return to normal processing" value, in
addition to the explicit possibilities.  Or, maybe that's "native".

And it should be cached on a per-file basis.

And this is getting pretty complicated....

RE: how to?

Posted by solo turn <so...@yahoo.com>.
how could the handling of eol be improved to make it possible to
update a working copy of the svn repository via samba and compile it
on unix?

is an additional option to "svn up" a possibility, like "svn up
--eol-style=unix"?

or is it the best thing to just run "find ... -exec perl -i -pe
's/^M//g' {}" on the whole tree? i'm not sure if this confuses the
.svn directories contents .... i.e. include them or not?

if none of the above is a good solution:
what was the reason that the whole svn-repository has the property
set, and not only for the critical files, like makefiles?