Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Adam Bordelon <ad...@mesosphere.io> on 2015/06/05 11:27:25 UTC

Re: 答复: [DISCUSS] Renaming Mesos Slave

Wow, what a response! Allow me to attempt to summarize the sentiment so far.

Let's start with the implicit question,
*0. Should we rename Mesos Slave?*
+1 (Explicit approval) 12, including 7 from JIRA
+0.5 (Implicit approval, suggested alternate name) 18
-0.5 (Some disapproval, wouldn't block it) 5, including 1 from JIRA
-1 (Strong disapproval) 16

*1. What should we call the "Mesos Slave" node/host/machine?*
Worker: +10, -2
Agent: +6
Follower (+Leader): +4, -1
Minion: +2, -1
Drone (+Director/Queen): +2
Resource-Agent/Provider: +2

*2. What should we call the "mesos-slave" process (could be the same)?*
Pretty much everybody says that it should be the same as the node.

*3. Do we need to rename Mesos Master too?*
Most say No, except when slave's new name has a preferred pairing (e.g.
Follower/Leader)

*4. How will we phase in the new name and phase out the old name?*
To calm any fears, we would have to go through a full deprecation cycle,
introducing the new name in one release, while maintaining
symlinks/aliases/duplicate-endpoints for the old name. In a subsequent
release, we can remove the old name/endpoints. As we introduce the new
Mesos 1.0 HTTP API, we will already be introducing breaking API changes, so
this would be an ideal time to do a rename.

Whether or not we decide to officially change the name in the code/APIs,
some organizations are already using alternative terminologies in their
presentations/scripts. We could at least try to agree upon a recommended
alternative name for these purposes.

*5. How do we vote on this?*
First, FYI: https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
It seems there are two potentially separate items to vote on:

Prop-A: Rename Mesos-Slave in the code/APIs
Qualifies as a "code modification", so a negative (binding) vote
constitutes a veto. Note that there are no -1s from the Mesos PMC yet.
After this week of discussion where the community is invited to share their
thoughts/opinions, we will call for an official VOTE from the PMC members.
The proposal will pass if there are at least three positive votes and no
negative ones.

Prop-B: Recommended Alternative Name for "Slave"
This can follow the common format of majority rule. We can gather
recommendations during this one week discussion period, and then vote on
the top 2-3 finalists.

Posted by Adam Bordelon <ad...@mesosphere.io>.
James, I was indeed counting "master/slave, no change needed" as -1 for
Item 0, but left them out of the summary for Item 1.
Note that this is a [DISCUSS] thread, not a [VOTE] thread, so we're not
officially voting yet, just gathering ideas from the community. All I was
doing with the (manual) fuzzy matching was trying to summarize what people
have been saying so far. Once the one week discussion period is over, we
will create votable proposals and call for official votes.

Posted by Brenden Matthews <br...@diddyinc.com>.
+1 to what Adam wrote.

Posted by Brian Topping <br...@gmail.com>.
The moment it costs money for deployments to change these names, I'm "+1 no change  — keep master/slave".

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/mesos-user/201506.mbox/%3c556F52CE.1050600@tampabay.rr.com%3e <https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/mesos-user/201506.mbox/%3C556F52CE.1050600@tampabay.rr.com%3E> kind of summarizes it for me.

Posted by Lawrence Rau <la...@mac.com>.

Posted by Steven Schlansker <ss...@opentable.com>.

Posted by Alex Rukletsov <al...@mesosphere.com>.
While I'm apathetic to changing the name, I think we should do more than
just voting on an alternate name in case we decide to proceed and replace
the master/slave terminology. Such change is very expensive and it makes
sense to do it once than to rush and pick up an ambiguous term. If we make
this step, we can use it as an opportunity to choose a *better* name for
key Mesos components.

My suggestion is to add pros and cons to every name put in for voting.
Let's back up each proposal with meaningful explanation why this proposal
should be preferred over others. I'll give an example (I will stick to the
current terminology for clarity):
* -1 for 'worker' as it implies the slave process does the actual work,
which is not true and misleading.
* -1 for 'leader/follower' as mesos slaves do not really *follow* the mesos
master; can be confused with leading/shadowing master(s).
* +1 for disambiguating between mesos slave process and mesos slave node:
fwiw, multiple slave processes can be running on the same node.

Some time ago we had an offline discussion about whether master and slave
should actually be different entities. Having a single entity, say,
mesos-agent, that can act either as slave or as master can be beneficial.
Though this is outside of the scope of the current thread, I would like to
keep it in mind and be as general as possible while choosing the name.

Hence, my favourites so far are:
1. Mesos Node [can be disambiguated as Mesos Master Node or Mesos Agent
Node]
2. Mesos Agent
3. No [Mesos Master can mean a particular mode in which a Mesos Agent
currently operates]
4. Start using it in presentations, JIRAs, mailing lists, then proceed to
docs update; change code via deprecation process once new terminology is
settled.

Posted by Aaron Carey <ac...@ilm.com>.

________________________________

<ma...@wizcorp.jp>>> wrote:

    +1 for keeping master/slave.

    On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Panyungao (Wingoal)
    <pa...@huawei.com> <ma...@huawei.com>>> wrote:

        +1  master/slave. ____

        __ __

        These are only terminologies in software architecture.  They
        have different definitions from those of social or political
        view. ____

        __ __

        *������:*zhou weitao [mailto:zhouwtlord@gmail.com<ma...@gmail.com>
        <ma...@gmail.com>>]