Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2006/03/08 19:23:08 UTC

Re: [HttpComponents] web site (update 5)

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 17:10 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 08/03/06, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I just updated and redeployed the preview of the HttpComponents web
> > site.
> >
> > Changelog:
> > * Link to the project Wiki per Roland's request
> > * HttpCore module now includes javadoc, source cross-reference and
> > clover (test coverage) reports
> >
> > The preview can be found at the usual location
> > http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/
> >
> > Please let me know if you think something major is still missing.

Many thanks, Sebastian

> Not major, but:
>
> How about linking the Netscape Cookie spec to the front page?

Done.

> ==
>
> A few minor layout issues:
>
> There's an unexpected change of font size on the pages:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/charter.html
> http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/goals.html
>
> It looks like the style for bullet points has a larger font size than
> the main text.

Fixed

> The link at the bottom of the page:
> http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/http-core/issue-tracking.html
>
> works, but I'm not sure it helps to have it displayed in full...

I cant help it. This is the way Maven end up generating the page.

Please review

http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/

Oleg

Re: [HttpComponents] web site (update 6)

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 01:03 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 08/03/06, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 21:13 +0000, sebb wrote:
> > > On 08/03/06, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> > > A little gremlin seems to have attacked the Cookies page:
> > >
> > > Netscate
> > >

> > Fixed
> >

> The gremlin seems to have come back ...

It's been really fixed in SVN. I just did not regenerate the site prior
to deploying to the remote repository

> > > Generally it looks very good, and seems to be easy to navigate.
> > >
> > > Just noticed something a bit strange - the HttpCore and HttpAsynch
> > > module pages have a left navigation bar with a "Home" link, but the
> > > other modules don't. Not sure whether this is intentional or not.
> > >

> > This is because only HttpCore and HttpAsync are full-fledged Maven
> > sub-projects with a corresponding pom.xml. All others are merely
> > placeholders. They will get populated as we go along.
>
> OK
>
> > > The naming of the modules makes their purpose fairly clear, but it
> > > might still be useful to have a brief summary of each on the front
> > > page.
> > >

> > Done
>
> Looks good.
>
> Just thought - people might want to know if HttpURLConnection is supported.
> Might be worth saying whether that is planned or not.

I personally do not intend to work on a HttpURLConnection implementation
based on HttpCore. There are way more important things that require a
lot of work: unfinished Cookie2 spec, HttpNIO, Commons HttpClient 3.1.

If someone came forward and contributed this code I believe we would
happily accept it, though

Oleg

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [HttpComponents] web site (update 7)

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 09:26 +0100, Ortwin Glück wrote:
> I think references to HttpClient 3 should be linked to the current website.

There's a reference to Commons HttpClient on the front page now. Please
check it out:

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 09:26 +0100, Ortwin Glück wrote:
> I think references to HttpClient 3 should be linked to the current website.

Will do

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 21:13 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 08/03/06, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> A little gremlin seems to have attacked the Cookies page:
>
> Netscate

Fixed

> > http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/
> >

> Generally it looks very good, and seems to be easy to navigate.
>
> Just noticed something a bit strange - the HttpCore and HttpAsynch
> module pages have a left navigation bar with a "Home" link, but the
> other modules don't. Not sure whether this is intentional or not.

This is because only HttpCore and HttpAsync are full-fledged Maven
sub-projects with a corresponding pom.xml. All others are merely
placeholders. They will get populated as we go along.

> The naming of the modules makes their purpose fairly clear, but it
> might still be useful to have a brief summary of each on the front
> page.

Done

> It would be nice if the Wiki link indicated that it was an "external" link.

Done

> Sorry if these seem picky ... feel free to ignore!
>
> S.

Please review
http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/

Cheers,

Oleg

Re: [HttpComponents] web site (update 5)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 08/03/06, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 17:10 +0000, sebb wrote:
> > On 08/03/06, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> > > Folks,
> > >
> > > I just updated and redeployed the preview of the HttpComponents web
> > > site.
> > >
> > > Changelog:
> > > * Link to the project Wiki per Roland's request
> > > * HttpCore module now includes javadoc, source cross-reference and
> > > clover (test coverage) reports
> > >
> > > The preview can be found at the usual location
> > > http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/
> > >
> > > Please let me know if you think something major is still missing.
> >

> Many thanks, Sebastian
>
> > Not major, but:
> >
> > How about linking the Netscape Cookie spec to the front page?
> >

> Done.
>

> > ==
> >
> > A few minor layout issues:
> >
> > There's an unexpected change of font size on the pages:
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/charter.html
> > http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/goals.html
> >
> > It looks like the style for bullet points has a larger font size than
> > the main text.
> >

> Fixed

Looks much better now.

> > The link at the bottom of the page:
> > http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/http-core/issue-tracking.html
> >
> > works, but I'm not sure it helps to have it displayed in full...
> >

> I cant help it. This is the way Maven end up generating the page.

Yuk!

I guess/hope that will be fixed by Maven one day...

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.

Bindul Bhowmik wrote:
> Few very very minor cosmetic issues:
> Most Jakarta projects' web site headers have both the Jakarta Logo and
> the Project logo. But the HttpComponents website just has the Jakarta
> Logo.

Don't dispair. The designer is working on the logo. I hope to post it
for review next week.

Odi

Re: [HttpComponents] web site (update 5)

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 00:56 +0530, Bindul Bhowmik wrote:
> Hello Oleg,

Hello, Bindul

> Few very very minor cosmetic issues:
> Most Jakarta projects' web site headers have both the Jakarta Logo and
> the Project logo. But the HttpComponents website just has the Jakarta
> Logo.

We simply do not have a logo yet.

> In the main navigation bar, 'Project charter' and 'Project goals'
> might look better as 'Project Charter' and 'Project Goals' keeping in
> line with 'Project Info' (capitalized first character of second word).

Done.

> In the Project Charter page, in the fourth bullet of the Project scope
> '(formerly Jakarta Commons HttpClient )' has a space before the
> closing brace. This causes the closing brace to appear in the next
> line in some displays (It does in mine - Firefox, screen resolution
> 1024x768)

Fixed.

> In the Project Charter page, under 'Targeted specifications and
> standards', 'http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/norobots-rfc.html' might look
> good hyperlinked.

This is a verbatim copy of the project charter as approved by the
Jakarta PMC, so I think we should keep it in sync with the original

> I understand that the different 'modules' are maven projects
> themselves. But do we want to keep separate 'Project Info' pages for
> each of them? Right now each of the 'Project Info' pages (Issue
> Tracking, Mail List, etc.) are actually different pages for each
> module and also the HttpComponent.

Some of them do make sense on a per module basis: dependencies, issue
tracking, source repository. Some certainly do not, project team for
instance, but Maven appears really bent on adding them nonetheless

> Related, although 'Project Reports' makes sense when they appear
> separately for each module. As a user, I might want to see some
> consolidated reports such as javadocs, etc.

Consolidated javadoc is definitely a good idea. As soon as we have
another module in ALPHA quality (besides HttpCore), I will try to come
up with something like that

> The archives links for the mailing lists points to the mbox archives
> on Apache servers, which might be the official archives. But, would it
> make sense if we pointed the archives links to mail-archive.com or
> marc.theaimsgroup.com or some such else?

I added both mail-archive.com and marc.theaimsgroup.com to the project's
pom.xml as additional archives, but this had no effect on the HTML
content generated by Maven. No idea why.

> The Wiki still says HttpClient Wiki. Are we planning to rename it or
> use a new page as the HttpComponents FrontPage?

Lots of things need renaming: project name in Bugzilla, mailing lists,
wiki. We'll tackle it as go along.

> > http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/
> >
> > Oleg
>
> I was working on checking some site's user friendliness in my day job,
> so these might have stuck on me. I am still looking at the site and
> will post anything else I find.

Any extra cycles spent on HttpComponents will be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,

Oleg

Posted by Bindul Bhowmik <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hello Oleg,

Was lurking on the list for sometime. Should congratulate you on the
great work with the site.