Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Nirdesh Pachoriya <ni...@cybage.com> on 2018/08/06 05:51:31 UTC

Load testing of Progressing download(Video) or Larger files download

Hello Friends,

I am looking at load testing of Progressive download video files with 100 user load. The testing tool I am looking at is Jmeter. Though the script required for creating the load is very simpler, it consist of couple of request and it is able to make the connection with server and start the downloading of the file. Though I understand that the progressive technology is pretty old, but still it is used in many website. The question I have is around the strategy.

1.       Do we need to download the complete file(i.e. 1.3 GB in my case)?
2.       Even we looked at saving the response as file, the resources such as Network and disk I/O are at max? Does this strategy suits here?
3.       Can we have some another strategy where we can engage the server for the duration and test for issues underlying with connection issues and transmission speed?

Regards,
Nirdesh M Pachoriya

"Legal Disclaimer: This electronic message and all contents contain information from Cybage Software Private Limited which may be privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the addressee(s) only. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure, copy, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error please notify the sender by reply e-mail to and destroy the original message and all copies. Cybage has taken every reasonable precaution to minimize the risk of malicious content in the mail, but is not liable for any damage you may sustain as a result of any malicious content in this e-mail. You should carry out your own malicious content checks before opening the e-mail or attachment." www.cybage.com

Re: Load testing of Progressing download(Video) or Larger files download

Posted by Andrew Burton <an...@gmail.com>.
There are some resources on the web that discuss testing video streaming:
*
https://www.blazemeter.com/blog/load-testing-video-streaming-with-jmeter-learn-how
*
https://dzone.com/articles/hls-vs-rtmp-live-streaming-load-testing-with-jmete

Are your videos being served from a CDN (such as Cloudflare or Akamai)? If
so, you might be able to separate the download of the file from initial
connection - i.e. test the initial authentication/connection only.