Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Richard Zowalla <rz...@apache.org> on 2023/02/07 18:59:25 UTC

Backporting changes between 8.x, 9.x and 10.x

Hi all,

I wanted to bring this thing to the list, which appeared in a slack
chat today.

Back in October 2021 we had a discussion on how we want to handle our
three active branches (8.x, 9.x and main/10.x) in terms of maintainance
[1]. We already agreed in another thread, that we are not activley
maintain 7.0.x or 7.1.x (but are open for contributions) anymore.

Now, we have a 9.0.0 released, which passes the TCK (which by itself is
really a great achievement!) and we are dived into the EE10 work to
have the momentum.

However, we missed to find consensus on the different proposals and
arguments and didn't make a decision or a vote back than. Currently, I
am seeing, that we are doing work on three different branches and
porting things back and forth ;-) - the situation is a bit agile (lol)
and it is really difficult to keep track (even if it only affects
common dependency updates).

At the moment, we have:

- 8.x (EE8)
- 9.x (EE9)
- 10.x/main (EE10)

Keeping up with three diverging code bases is challenging ;-)

In addition, the situation is complicated by the fact, that the Tomcat
project decided to EOL their 10.0.x line, which is targeting EE9 and
won't get any fixes in the future.

I think, that we should discuss our prorities in maintaining the
different branches, ie. how much "love" (or energy) we want to give
each branch (if someone steps up and keeps up porting changes, I
wouldn't be against it).

Personally, I think, that we should keep up our efforts in maintaining
8.x (as it is the last javax version and industry will need some more
adoption time before moving to jakarta), ie fixing build improvements,
bug & cves but put the vast majority of our energy into the EE10 work
(+ related projects). I don't think, that we have the energy to
backporting a lot of things to the 9.x branch (aside from CVE fixes,
which might be difficult to the eoling of some libs)) though - but
again: If someone steps up and has the energy to do that, I won't
object :-)

Any thoughts or ideas on a strategy?

Gruß
Richard

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/z953f2th5kqc3brjvcjmjwwo93hcd970

Re: Backporting changes between 8.x, 9.x and 10.x

Posted by Thomas Andraschko <an...@gmail.com>.
+1 to NOT maintain 9.x, most people will not use it anyway

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.
Hey David,

Wanted to reply over the weekend but I think I forgot.

First I agree that voting +1 is good to get community thoughts, but it's
also about action. We can maintain 10 branches in parallel if we don't have
enough people to do the actual work. We need to match the people to what we
want to do and what we can really do.

TomEE 1.7 and TomEE 7 --> EOL, the migration to 8.x is anyway
straightforward
We can't EOL 9.x if we don't have 10.x production ready and released. This
is in my opinion not even a question

Back to the first point, I tend to focus myself on the latest version with
new development and not really on old versions. I don't think it helps
people to migrate if we keep maintaining old versions forever.

I like the overall policy: don't release a version if we are aware of
affected CVEs. If we can't fix them because it's an unmaintained library,
then well we can't do anymore releases on that branch.

I also like the idea of giving people a clear view and enough time  (7
months) to migrate with the exception of 8.x which obviously requires more
work.
Jakarta EE 11 is close and it will be the 3rd jakarta based release, so
December 31st for TomEE 8.x EOL sounds good to me. We by design depend on
many libraries and other open source projects, and it's obvious that there
are a lot of chances that at least one of them will be discontinued or not
receive any CVE fixes.

Hope it helps
--
Jean-Louis Monteiro
http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
Any other thoughts?

Posted by somasani nikhil <so...@gmail.com>.
Yes, This will greatly help people with decision to move forward with
upgrade to a specific version.

I would be happy to collaborate with team but I’m very much new to this
process / doesn’t have clear steps on supporting such projects.

Thank you!
Nikhil Somasani

Thanks and Regards,
Nikhil Somasani

Re: Backporting changes between 8.x, 9.x and 10.x

Posted by Richard Zowalla <rz...@apache.org>.
Hi David,

sounds good to me. I think, that Cesar already created that pages on
the download page.

Question would be, if we need to do a formal vote? I think, that Tomcat
is doing so?

wdyt?

Gruß
Richard

Posted by Cesar Hernandez <ce...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,
Thank you for the follow-up, I created
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMEE-4193 and
https://github.com/apache/tomee-site-generator/pull/61 for the eol pages.

--
Atentamente:
César Hernández.

Re: Backporting changes between 8.x, 9.x and 10.x

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cesar Hernandez <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Zowalla <rz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Cesar Hernandez <ce...@gmail.com>.
+1  working on maintaining  TomEE 9 branch since currently is the only
option users have to migrate to Jakarta namespaces with a TomEE GA version.

+1 on TomEE 8 strategy to check transitive dependencies reaching EOL to

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.