Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net> on 2011/07/04 20:50:53 UTC

european's Apache foundation?

Hello all,

In an EU project we're currently planning, the ASF seems to be a serious partner but I seem to realize that there's no "branch" or "representative" of the foundation in Europe.
Is that indeed true?

thanks in advance

Paul

Re: european's Apache foundation?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 9:15 PM, Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net> wrote:
> ...My idea was to make the ASF a partner of an EU project. It would have meant being able to pay
> dedicated community members for the project's work. Surely that work can be done in another
> institution's name. And maybe it would have meant some administrativia....

FYI the initial codebase of the Stanbol project (
http://incubator.apache.org/stanbol/ ) was donated by the European
Community funded IKS project ( http://iks-project.eu ), and this
required the agreement of the EC representatives that manage IKS. I'm
involved in IKS via my employer and took part in those discussions.

The only relationship between the ASF and IKS in this case is that IKS
had to sign a code grant when donating that code.

People might be paid by IKS to work on Stanbol, as happens for many
people working on Apache projects as part of their paid work, but the
ASF is not involved in that - from our side, those people are just
volunteer committers.

So it is possible in some cases for EC-funded work to happen at
Apache, but as far as the ASF is concerned this makes no difference to
the way our projects are run - there's no money exchanged via the ASF
for work done on foundation projects.

-Bertrand

Re: european's Apache foundation?

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 09:12 +0200, "Paul Libbrecht" <pa...@hoplahup.net>
wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Our aim is a project about contextual mathematics manipulations; the ASF
> project we were thinking of was (not exclusively) OpenOffice which is
> only in Incubation at the ASF.  All this is still complete speculation.
> I now understand the strategy to be followed.
>
> If I understand well, the only way if I was a fully external person is to
> go at the projects' pages, find the "powered by" page and follow contacts
> from there. Maybe it would be good to advertise more the services offered
> for each of the projects; somewhat the way Moodle.com does.
> I believe the friendliness of the APL with commercial and non-commercial
> enterprises may benefit of such a strategy.
> Another way may be to have one major company to sustain the project, as
> LucidImagination does it for Lucene and Solr...

Generally, the ASF doesn't push or promote *any* participants. It may
list facts, but that is it. Organisations contribute code (via
individuals) to the ASF because it is to their benefit having the code
there, not because the ASF needs/wants them to.

Lucid is a 'sole' company behind Lucene/Solr simply because no-one has
decided to set up a company in competition. The fact that someone
decided that Lucid had a good business model was entirely outside the
scope of the ASF. As long as they continue to be a good player in the
Lucene/Solr space (e.g. respecting trademarks), they are welcome to
continue, neither they, nor the ASF can prevent someone else from
attempting to take on the same business space. (Given their space,
business lead, they might be foolish to try, but that's another topic).

I'd say, join the OOo lists, get a sense of the folks there, even post a
message asking for folks who might be interested to contact you. Nothing
wrong in that.

Upayavira

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.
Hello list,