Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Sascha-Matthias Kulawik <s....@juwimm.com> on 2003/08/28 18:00:54 UTC

WG: We want to donate a XML / Cocoon / EJB / WebStart - based CMS

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.
Codehaus is another community, I'm sure its rules aren't exactly the
same.  The information on the web site claims to place "a firm priority
on the production of useful code, and less on non-coding exercises such
as voting, committee-forming and proposal-writing".  Why would that have
an affect on the hosted project's potential future with Apache?

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks

Re: WG: We want to donate a XML / Cocoon / EJB / WebStart - based CMS

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote, On 29/08/2003 6.51:

> Sascha-Matthias Kulawik said:
>
>>we've developed a XML-based Content Management System based on
>>different technologies like Cocoon, XML, EJB and a WebStart Client
>>Application. It is in our interest, that we contribute this
>>project with about 200.000 Lines of Code to the Apache Foundation.
>
> To continue on Steve's "pessimistic" intro to Apache incubations,
> perhaps you need some encouragements;
>
> 1. Put it up on SourceForge, or perhaps some other place such as
> CodeHaus.

I would not recommend CodeHaus if they want to later apply for Apache,
as it does not follow the same community rules as Apache.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: WG: We want to donate a XML / Cocoon / EJB / WebStart - based CMS

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Sascha-Matthias Kulawik said:
> we've developed a XML-based Content Management System based on
> different technologies like Cocoon, XML, EJB and a WebStart Client
> Application. It is in our interest, that we contribute this
> project with about 200.000 Lines of Code to the Apache Foundation.

To continue on Steve's "pessimistic" intro to Apache incubations,
perhaps you need some encouragements;

1. Put it up on SourceForge, or perhaps some other place such as
CodeHaus.

2. Get the OSS structure in place, licenses, documentation,
committers, evolution and so on...

3. "Market" the package. I'm sure that OSS mailing lists are
"tolerant" to occassional OSS marketing.

4. Some indviduals typically shows an interest (if your stuff is
good enough). Try to tie them into the project, perhaps by helping
out with testing, documentation, installation procedures and more.

5. Some individuals wants extra features, if it is not available,
try to encourage them to add these features themselves. Tell how it
should/could be done, and be very helpful. If they manage, grant
committer status more easily than Apache generally does.

6. Then come back to Apache. If you at such time have half a dozen
external committers (who has contributed and understand the codebase
to a reasonable degree), documentation, and overall an healthy
project, it is more likely for it to be accepted.

Also, your customer wants the project to go OSS, which IMHO is a
GOOD THING (tm), but Apache is not equivalent with OSS.
Cocoon founder, Stefano, has a remarkable attitude to OSS projects;
"Bad Code, Great Ideas => Good Community".
Indirectly it also means that "production quality code" has a harder
time to gather good community, since the codebase is better than
"BAD".

Cheers.
Niclas