Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Prabhjot Bharaj <pr...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/05 12:16:17 UTC

Debug kafka code in intellij

Hi,

I'm using kafka 0.8.2.1 version with IntelliJ.
Sometimes, I change the code and build it using this command:

./gradlew -PscalaVersion=2.11.7 releaseTarGz

In some cases, I feel the need for debugging the code within IntelliJ.

e.g. I, currently, want to debug the ConsumerOffsetCheker to see how it
communicates with zookeeper.

How can I do that with IntelliJ ??

Currently, if I try and debug the file ConsumerOffsetChecker.scala in
IntelliJ, I get this message:-

Error:scalac: Output path
/Users/pbharaj/Desktop/Dev/OpenSource4/Kafka-0.8.2.1/build is shared
between: Module 'Kafka-0.8.2.1' production, Module 'Kafka-0.8.2.1' tests
Please configure separate output paths to proceed with the compilation.
TIP: you can use Project Artifacts to combine compiled classes if needed.

Regards,
Prabhjot

Re: Debug kafka code in intellij

Posted by Prabhjot Bharaj <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hello Folks,

Requesting your expertise on this

Thanks,
Prabhjot

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 4:46 PM, Prabhjot Bharaj <pr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using kafka 0.8.2.1 version with IntelliJ.
> Sometimes, I change the code and build it using this command:
>
> ./gradlew -PscalaVersion=2.11.7 releaseTarGz
>
> In some cases, I feel the need for debugging the code within IntelliJ.
>
> e.g. I, currently, want to debug the ConsumerOffsetCheker to see how it
> communicates with zookeeper.
>
> How can I do that with IntelliJ ??
>
> Currently, if I try and debug the file ConsumerOffsetChecker.scala in
> IntelliJ, I get this message:-
>
> Error:scalac: Output path
> /Users/pbharaj/Desktop/Dev/OpenSource4/Kafka-0.8.2.1/build is shared
> between: Module 'Kafka-0.8.2.1' production, Module 'Kafka-0.8.2.1' tests
> Please configure separate output paths to proceed with the compilation.
> TIP: you can use Project Artifacts to combine compiled classes if needed.
>

> Regards,
> Prabhjot

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand
binary, and those who don't"

Re: Debug kafka code in intellij

Posted by Prabhjot Bharaj <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gwen,

Thanks a lot for saving my time.
The problem was that under "Modules", the 'output path' and 'test output
path' for Kafka-0.8.2.1 (i.e. the main source directory) were the same:

/Users/pbharaj/Desktop/Dev/OpenSource4/Kafka-0.8.2.1/build

After changing both, its working fine now.

Thank you,
Prabhjot

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Prabhjot Bharaj <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gwen,

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Prabhjot Bharaj <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jeff,

Posted by Jeff Holoman <jh...@cloudera.com>.

--
Jeff Holoman
Systems Engineer

Re: Debug kafka code in intellij

Posted by Rad Gruchalski <ra...@gruchalski.com>.

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Dong Lin <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rad,

Posted by Rad Gruchalski <ra...@gruchalski.com>.
Dong,

Posted by Alexander Makarenko <es...@gmail.com>.
Wow, that's interesting info, thanks for the tip!

Posted by Dong Lin <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Prabhjot Bharaj <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hello Folks,