Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com> on 2003/05/06 18:38:27 UTC

¿any recomendations for xml editors?

Hi,
After finish my humble web design using forrest, I wanted to populate
it with content.

Anyone can give me a hint of a xml editor that I can use from my browser?

Should I create the docs in the v11 format?

I know that the creatino of xml content is out of the scope in this
project, but maybe a few guidelines or where to go would be nice.

Thank you very much!!

Cheche

Re: ¿any recomendations for xml editors?

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Hi,

I use jEdit (http://www.jedit.org). It is GNU.

Don't forget to download the nice plugins that enhance all your XML-XSLT
experience. Like:

XML Indent
XML Validation
Goto matching tag,
See XML tree (Structure browser)
etc.

Also there is a nice project viewer plugin that allow you to fast navigate
into your project files.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Juan Jose Pablos dijo:

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com>.
Steven,

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 6/05/2003 18:38 Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> Hi,
> After finish my humble web design using forrest, I wanted to populate it
> with content.
>
> Anyone can give me a hint of a xml editor that I can use from my browser?
>
> Should I create the docs in the v11 format?
>
> I know that the creatino of xml content is out of the scope in this
> project, but maybe a few guidelines or where to go would be nice.
>
> Thank you very much!!

I'm very much in love with XXE: http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/

We bought the professional version to support the company (who is also
only a three-men shop, and apparently is composed of people who used to
build the old-time Grif SGML editor), but the (free) standard version
does the job equally well.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: ¿any recomendations for xml editors?

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com>.
Sergey,Jeff,

Well, what I got in mind is an xml editor that is aware of the dtd.

Once you have already setup your look and feel with forrest you wanted
to populated with content.

So if I got a dtd like document-v12.dtd, the editor should be aware of
what tags are you allow to insert and where.

so my first choice must be to create a document tag and so on...

When you created the content in this way, there is no need for
validation as far as I know...

¿Is this more or less the way you think we could populate the content
with forrest?

maybe should I look for an xhtml editor and then transform it with xslt
to a document-v12?

Thank you!

Cheche

Re[2]: ¿any recomendations for xml editors?

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 06:38:27PM +0200, Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> Hi,
> After finish my humble web design using forrest, I wanted to populate
> it with content.
>
> Anyone can give me a hint of a xml editor that I can use from my browser?
>
> Should I create the docs in the v11 format?

I use a regular text editor (vim).  I've found the best way to create
content is:

1) 'forrest run'
2) Edit XML in build/webapp/content/xdocs/*
3) When you think the XML is valid, do a 'forrest validate backcopy', and
correct errors repeat the process until the XML validates.  If your
editor validates XML for you this step is much faster.
4) Check the HTML results at http://localhost:8888/
5) Go to src/documentation/content/xdocs and commit the changes to CVS.
6) goto 2

So build/webapp/* acts as a 'scratchpad' where XML lives while being
edited.  If you totally screw up, you can delete build/webapp/* and start
again.  The 'forrest validate backcopy' ensures that only valid XML gets
back to src/documentation/*

--Jeff