Posted to users@directory.apache.org by "David A. Parker" <dp...@utica.edu> on 2010/08/25 18:03:02 UTC

Version string in exported LDIF files

Hello,

I have used Apache Directory Studio for a while now, and it seems that
in one of the more recent releases, a version line has been added to the
LDIF output file if you export a record.  The file used to just start
with the DN line of the first record.  Is there a way to suppress the
version line?

     Thanks,
     Dave

--

Dave Parker
Systems Administrator

Re: Version string in exported LDIF files

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
>>> Yes, that was added with version 1.5.0, see
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-486.
>>>
>>> There is now way to supress the version line during export, please
>>> file a new issue.
>>
>> s/now/no/
>>
>> The 'version: 1' line is mandatory per RFC 2849 :
>>
>> ldif-file = ldif-content / ldif-changes
>>
>> ldif-content = version-spec 1*(1*SEP ldif-attrval-record)
>>
>> version-spec = "version:" FILL version-number
>>

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for the information, I did not realize that it was actually
> specified in the RFC.  It makes sense that this was be added to
> Directory Studio to make it's LDIF output standards compliant.
> However, it would still be nice to have the option to suppress this
> line, similar to how the ldapsearch command gives you the -LLL option,
> for example.
>
> The main reason I asked the question originally was because I had some
> Perl scripts which parsed LDIF files exported from Directory Studio,
> and the addition of the version line and the blank line that follows
> it broke those scripts.  I was able to update the scripts and fix the
> problem without any trouble, but I was surprised that this change in
> Directory Studio was not accompanied by an option to use the old
> behavior.

You can safely remove the version: 1 line, as it's not going to change.
LDIF format hasn't changed for years, and is not likely to change.

I personnaly think that this version: tag should have been set in a
comment , like # version: 1, instead of a attributeType like line...
Whatever.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Version string in exported LDIF files

Posted by "David A. Parker" <dp...@utica.edu>.
On 09/04/2010 04:19 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> On 8/25/10 8:21 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>>> I have used Apache Directory Studio for a while now, and it seems
>>> that in
>>> one of the more recent releases, a version line has been added to the
>>> LDIF
>>> output file if you export a record. The file used to just start with
>>> the DN
>>> line of the first record. Is there a way to suppress the version line?
>> Yes, that was added with version 1.5.0, see
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-486.
>>
>> There is now way to supress the version line during export, please
>> file a new issue.
>
> s/now/no/
>
> The 'version: 1' line is mandatory per RFC 2849 :
>
> ldif-file = ldif-content / ldif-changes
>
> ldif-content = version-spec 1*(1*SEP ldif-attrval-record)
>
> version-spec = "version:" FILL version-number

Hello,

Thanks for the information, I did not realize that it was actually
specified in the RFC.  It makes sense that this was be added to
Directory Studio to make it's LDIF output standards compliant.  However,
it would still be nice to have the option to suppress this line, similar
to how the ldapsearch command gives you the -LLL option, for example.

The main reason I asked the question originally was because I had some
Perl scripts which parsed LDIF files exported from Directory Studio, and
the addition of the version line and the blank line that follows it
broke those scripts.  I was able to update the scripts and fix the
problem without any trouble, but I was surprised that this change in
Directory Studio was not accompanied by an option to use the old behavior.

I did file a new issue in JIRA, per Stefan's recommendation.

     Thanks,
     Dave

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
  On 8/25/10 8:21 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>> I have used Apache Directory Studio for a while now, and it seems that in
>> one of the more recent releases, a version line has been added to the LDIF
>> output file if you export a record.  The file used to just start with the DN
>> line of the first record.  Is there a way to suppress the version line?
> Yes, that was added with version 1.5.0, see
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-486.
>
> There is now way to supress the version line during export, please
> file a new issue.

s/now/no/

The 'version: 1' line is mandatory per RFC 2849 :

ldif-file                = ldif-content / ldif-changes

ldif-content             = version-spec 1*(1*SEP ldif-attrval-record)

version-spec             = "version:" FILL version-number

> As a workaround, as you wrote "if you export a record": If you only
> want to copy the LDIF of a single entry or some entries you can select
> the entries and choose "Advanced ->  Copy Entry as LDIF" from context
> menu.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Stefan

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Version string in exported LDIF files

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.