Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Jay Hahn-Steichen <pe...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/20 06:44:16 UTC

Any way to cause CloudStack to use non-primary NIC

All:

I would like to experiment with a cloudstack configuration where the
primary NIC (e.g. eth0) is used only for logging into the server directly,
and the cloudstack components use eth1.  The two nics are on different LAN
segments.

From my reading of the docs, there is a built-in assumption that cloudstack
will use eth0.  Is there a place/way to change this default behavior?

Thanks.
--jay

Re: Any way to cause CloudStack to use non-primary NIC

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Jay - if you want to switch the default nic of your VM instance to some other nic try this -- using UI -> go to the VM->Nic->Scroll to the nic you want to set as default, click the "Set default NIC" button and after the operation completes fix the nic inside your VM.

Alternatively, try the API:

(local) 🐵 > update defaultnicforvirtualmachine -h
(updateDefaultNicForVirtualMachine) Changes the default NIC on a VM
This API is asynchronous.
Required params are nicid virtualmachineid
Parameters
==========
nicid = (uuid) NIC ID
virtualmachineid = (uuid) Virtual Machine ID

- Rohit

________________________________
I would like to experiment with a cloudstack configuration where the
primary NIC (e.g. eth0) is used only for logging into the server directly,
and the cloudstack components use eth1.  The two nics are on different LAN
segments.

From my reading of the docs, there is a built-in assumption that cloudstack

rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

RE: Any way to cause CloudStack to use non-primary NIC

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.
Hi, all. According to Paul, everything looks ok, but I still feel the
website content is lacking of the information. My belief that index should
clearly state:

Current LTS 4.9 | updated 2017.11.12 (4.9.3) | EOL=2018.X.Y
Previous LTS 4.X | updated 2017.04.01 (4.X.12) | EOL=2017.X.Y

Current 4.10 | updated 2017.11.20 (4.10.1) | EOL=2018.05.Y

The same is for download page. The reason is that some people don't need
new, they need very proven. Other need supported and third group needs
features.

E.g. Right now we updated our proxmox nodes to latest stable and found
windows 8 is no longer works as expected. Previous stable - ok. We rolled
back. I mean that it could be a good way for a lot of users to see and
realize what options they have. Even now, we still have 4.3 in production
and happy.

Right now, new person just downloads 4.10 and gets a lot of regressions and
unstable code. You might have seen last day e-mail threads. Even templates
created from snapshots are broken in 4.10 and it is critical/blocker bug.
The user can meet the situation, that after a months when ssvm is reloaded
all users lost tons of templates.

23 нояб. 2017 г. 12:05 ДП пользователь "Paul Angus" <
paul.angus@shapeblue.com> написал:

> Hi Jay,
>
> I assume here that you are talking about the management server and the IP
> address that CloudStack tells remote resources to connect to it over...?
>
> There is a global setting called 'host' which specifies that particular IP.
> It's initially set when you run cloudstack-setup-databases.  You can add '
> -i 123.123.123.123' to specify a specific address, otherwise it defaults
> back to the 'main' IP on that host.
>
> You can also update the 'host' global setting and restart the management
> server, you may need to check that IP tables allows 8080, 9090 and 8250 in
> to your alternate address, but CloudStack listens on all local addresses.
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Paul Angus
>
> paul.angus@shapeblue.com
> www.shapeblue.com
> @shapeblue

From my reading of the docs, there is a built-in assumption that cloudstack will use eth0.  Is there a place/way to change this default behavior?

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.
Hi. Do you mean management network which use components to communicate?
Please, change "host" global variable to IP related to eth1.

20 нояб. 2017 г. 1:44 ПП пользователь "Jay Hahn-Steichen" <