Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by rk...@wcupa.edu on 1997/03/29 19:50:01 UTC

protocol/285: Java 1.0.2 image loading program doesn't work for 1.2b7, but does for 1.1.3

>Number:         285
>Category:       protocol
>Synopsis:       Java 1.0.2 image loading program doesn't work for 1.2b7, but does for 1.1.3
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
The program "ImageLoad.java" below fails to load a GIF or JPEG image file
on the call

	java ImageLoad  http::<host>/<image-file>

if the <host> is running Apache 1.2b7, but it works if running Apache 1.1.3.

Errors look like protocol mistakes, saying the image is not a GIF or JPEG
file.

This problem was experienced on both Solaris and Ultrix running 1.2b7.
Both work fine running 1.1.3.

// ImageLoad.java

import java.net.URL;
import java.awt.*;

class ImageLoad extends Frame
{
  private Image im;

  static String URL_name;

  static public void main(String args[])
  {
    URL_name = args[0];
    ImageLoad app = new ImageLoad();
    app.reshape(100, 100, 320, 430);
    app.show();
  }

  ImageLoad()
  {
    super("Image Test");
    URL file = null;

    try {
      file = new URL( URL_name );
    }
    catch(Exception e) {
      System.out.println( e );
      System.exit(0);
    }

    im = Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().getImage( file );
  }

  public void paint(Graphics g) {
    g.drawImage( im, 0, 0, this );
  }
}
>How-To-Repeat:
Compile and run the ImageLoad program given in the full description.
Try to load an image from server running Apache 1.1.3 vs. one running
Apache 1.2b7
>Fix:
No, I can't be certain it's not a Java problem, only that the Java program
given works for 1.1.3, but not for 1.2b