Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Mark Gardner <mk...@vt.edu> on 2011/01/05 19:06:26 UTC

BladeCenter Hardware Requirements

It seems like a lot of the VCL instances are running on BladeCenter
hardware. I have a chassis and a few blades but I suspect I do not have
enough I/O modules to install the VCL to it. Does anyone have a list of the
hardware they are using so I can compare it with what I have?

My config:

BladeCenter H chassis
5 JS21 blades
1 HS21XM blade
1 Ethernet switch module
1 Infiniband 4x module
2 Management modules
4 Power modules
2 Cooling modules

What am I missing? (I suspect I need another Ethernet switch module as I
have only been successful in getting eth0 connected on a blade. I have not
been successful in getting eth1 connected.)

--
Mark Gardner

Re: BladeCenter Hardware Requirements

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
Not really. A lot of folks are using diff types of hardware. The folks
using xcat are primarily using bladecenters. Most everyone has gone
straight vmware ESX/ESXi.

We have mostly bladecenter E chassis
2 Ethernet switch module
1 Management modules
2 Power modules
2 Cooling modules
with HS21 or HS22 blades

Looks like your only missing the 2nd Ethernet switch module, this is
needed for eth1. I think we normally go with the BNT L2/3 Copper GbESM
switch, but I'll need to check.

Aaron

On 1/5/11 1:06 PM, Mark Gardner wrote:
> It seems like a lot of the VCL instances are running on BladeCenter
> hardware. I have a chassis and a few blades but I suspect I do not
> have enough I/O modules to install the VCL to it. Does anyone have a
> list of the hardware they are using so I can compare it with what I have?
>
> My config:
>
> BladeCenter H chassis
> 5 JS21 blades
> 1 HS21XM blade
> 1 Ethernet switch module
> 1 Infiniband 4x module
> 2 Management modules
> 4 Power modules
> 2 Cooling modules
>
> What am I missing? (I suspect I need another Ethernet switch module as
> I have only been successful in getting eth0 connected on a blade. I
> have not been successful in getting eth1 connected.)
>
> --
> Mark Gardner

Aaron Peeler
Program Manager