Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2004/01/20 11:57:11 UTC

New Job

On 19 Jan 2004, at 21:33, Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> PS: It's Monday and we still don't know what's up!

It seems that Joerg is not a reader of my blog
(http://www.betaversion.org/~stefano/linotype/), and since many others
might not be, here it is: the big announcement is that I have a new
job.

I'm joining the MIT Libraries faculty for a two years research position
working full time on the SIMILE project (http://web.mit.edu/simile/)
which goal is to show that  semantic web technology works (or doesn't!)
in the real of metadata interoperability, with a focus on digital
libraries.

My team is also the team responsible for the DSpace federation
(http://www.dspace.org) a content repository for digital libraries with
strong aim at long-term digital preservation.

I will join another cocooner, Mark Butler, author and maintainer of the
DELI block, who is already part of the SIMILE team working for HP Labs
in Bristol.

The architectural overlap between SIMILE and Cocoon is almost none, but
SIMILE will be a testbed for the RDF/RDFS/OWL stack of recomendations
which are virtually ignored in the mainstream XML world where Cocoon
lives. So I will act as cross-pollinator.

My long term plan is to use some of SIMILE technology for Doco. I will
also work with the DSpace team to design their 2.0 version and you can
count in DSpace and Cocoon getting closer together (something that the
dspace user community has been wanting for a while but the DSpace team
didn't have a cocoon expert)

My involvement in cocoon and the other ASF projects is not going to
change much... I might also have time to help more 'hands-on' with the
creation of the block infrastructure.

I don't know if SIMILE will be successful or not (the entire team is
very critic on RDF and friends), but I chose to accept the job because
I needed new challenges and this fits perfectly with my technological
curiosity about massive scale information publishing, authoring,
accessing, searching and preserving.

So, I will have two digital identities, my @apache.org one that I'll
keep using while participating in ASF-related activities and when
wearing my apache hat (for example, in JSRs participation) and my
@mit.edu one that I'll be using when wearing my MIT hat.

I'm moving to boston on Saturday and I'll probably start my job on
monday next week.

Ciao!

--
Stefano.

Re: [OT] Blogs, RSS (was: New Job)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le Dimanche, 25 jan 2004, à 22:52 Europe/Zurich, Joerg Heinicke a écrit
:

> ...Can you recommend some little nice piece of software for handling
> the RSS stuff automatically for me without surfing around through the
> world of blogs?

Before switching to NetNewsWire (macosx only) I used
http://www.newsisfreee.com which does a decent job and requires only a
browser on the client side.

-Bertrand

Re: [OT] Blogs, RSS

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be>.
> particular plugin for Mozilla, at least I found no one. Can you
> recommend some little nice piece of software for handling the RSS stuff
> automatically for me without surfing around through the world of blogs?

maybe
http://www.theonering.net/staff/corvar/cgi-bin/sidebar-inst.pl
is enough for you

There are a few plugins for mozilla, have a look on mozdev.org eg
http://forumzilla.mozdev.org/index.html

I remember this huge plugin for mozilla that sort of converted your
browser into an rss aggregator type-of-thingy but alas can't remember
it's name.

I'm not that into blogs, i've got them in a bookmark group just like you :)

HTH
Jorg

Re: [OT] Blogs, RSS

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> Can you recommend some little nice piece of software for handling the
> RSS stuff automatically for me without surfing around through the
> world of blogs?

I use SharpReader (http://www.sharpreader.net/) and just found an RSS
aggregator plugin for Eclipse at
http://morphine.sourceforge.net/presence/projects/rss/index.html

Sylvain

[OT] Blogs, RSS (was: New Job)

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 20.01.2004 11:57, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>> PS: It's Monday and we still don't know what's up!
>

> It seems that Joerg is not a reader of my blog
> (http://www.betaversion.org/~stefano/linotype/), and since many others
> might not be, here it is: the big announcement is that I have a new job.

That's not quite true. I don't read all the blogs regularly, but
sometimes in bulk. Last Sunday I read here and there and also your blog
- but until now I don't see blogs as information source, so I didn't
conceive the idea to look at read your blog for the news. I read the
blogs via browser and bookmarks ("bookmark this group of tabs" in
Mozilla). I guess that's not the optimum and so I want to ask how do you
stay uptodate? I heard and read of RSS reader, but there is no
particular plugin for Mozilla, at least I found no one. Can you
recommend some little nice piece of software for handling the RSS stuff
automatically for me without surfing around through the world of blogs?

Thanks in advance,

Joerg

Re: New Job

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> So, I will have two digital identities, my @apache.org one that I'll
> keep using while participating in ASF-related activities and when
> wearing my apache hat (for example, in JSRs participation) and my
> @mit.edu one that I'll be using when wearing my MIT hat.
>
> I'm moving to boston on Saturday and I'll probably start my job on
> monday next week.

very cool, have fun

Michi

Re: New Job

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I'm moving to boston on Saturday and I'll probably start my job on
> monday next week.

Congratulations!  Bring a coat. :)

Geoff

Re: New Job

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> I'm joining the MIT Libraries faculty for a two years research position
> working full time on the SIMILE project (http://web.mit.edu/simile/)
> which goal is to show that  semantic web technology works (or doesn't!)
> in the real of metadata interoperability, with a focus on digital
> libraries.

Congratulations, Stefano! Since, from time to time, I happen to be
involved in projects concerning libraries, I'll try to keep an eye on
your new area of interest.

	Have a nice trip to Boston,

		Ugo

Re: New Job

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi dijo:

> On 19 Jan 2004, at 21:33, Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>
>> PS: It's Monday and we still don't know what's up!
>
> It seems that Joerg is not a reader of my blog
> (http://www.betaversion.org/~stefano/linotype/), and since many others
> might not be, here it is: the big announcement is that I have a new
> job.

I was on the same position as Joerg.

Congratulations!

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: New Job

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ma...@rolf-kulemann.com>.
On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 11:57, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> On 19 Jan 2004, at 21:33, Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>
> > PS: It's Monday and we still don't know what's up!
>
> It seems that Joerg is not a reader of my blog
> (http://www.betaversion.org/~stefano/linotype/), and since many others
> might not be, here it is: the big announcement is that I have a new
> job.
>
> I'm joining the MIT Libraries faculty for a two years research position
> working full time on the SIMILE project (http://web.mit.edu/simile/)
> which goal is to show that  semantic web technology works (or doesn't!)
> in the real of metadata interoperability, with a focus on digital
> libraries.

YES. Good news. I wish you all the best at MIT.

I for myself read your weblog, but I very appreciate the mass of
information you provided in your mail.

It is interesting for me, because I worked with DSpace in the past and
will do some "theoretical and practical" work concerning semantic web
the next months.

If someone (Stefano?) has a [RT] on a topic for a bachelor thesis
concerning cocoon,dspace and semantic web, let me now. I'm still
negotiating the topic of my thesis.

> My team is also the team responsible for the DSpace federation
> (http://www.dspace.org) a content repository for digital libraries with
> strong aim at long-term digital preservation.

LOL. Excellent.

> I will join another cocooner, Mark Butler, author and maintainer of the
> DELI block, who is already part of the SIMILE team working for HP Labs
> in Bristol.
>
> The architectural overlap between SIMILE and Cocoon is almost none, but
> SIMILE will be a testbed for the RDF/RDFS/OWL stack of recomendations
> which are virtually ignored in the mainstream XML world where Cocoon
> lives. So I will act as cross-pollinator.

OWL. OWL. OWL.

Stefano, have fun :)

Rolf Kulemann

Always remember:
	"There is inherently no silver bullet." - F.Brooks

PGP/GPG public key:
	http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6B4EA7EA