Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Alex Worden <al...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/15 00:24:19 UTC

Where does maven decide to execute jelly scripts from?

Hi,

I'm trying to get maven to skip compilation and execution of certain JUnit
tests since they are broken. (I am not in a position to fix them.)

I am guessing that when I run

maven -Dmaven.test.skip=true (Is this a recognized standard or something
someone did at my company?)

maven will for some reason try to attain the "test:test" goal. (I have no
idea why it tries to do this)

I am guessing that this is somehow related to this bizarre
plugin.jellyscript thing that lives in my documents and settings
directory, under a
.maven/cache directory. Why is this cached? Where is the real deal? Anyway -
I guessed this is somehow inferred to live under:

...\maven-test-plugin.1.6.2\plugin.jelly

By virtue of the word test in the maven-xxxx-plugin name of the directory.
Is this true? Seems dangerous to me. Is there some explicit mapping
somewhere? I.e. How does it know that test:test is defined in this plugin
directory? The reason why I'm concerned that it is *not* is because it isn't
doing what I'm expecting it to do... read on.

When I tried having some effect on the properties defined in this file,
nothing appeared to make any difference.
So, I put some <echo> tags in there since I noticed them being used
occasionally. I don't see my echo statements either. I can only presume that
this plugin.jelly script is not being executed or that there is some
compiled version somewhere that is being used?

What is maven actually doing then? How can I debug it? I've tried adding "-X
test" to maven but it gives me WAY TOO MUCH output that makes absolutely no
sense to me.

Incidentally, I'm trying to have some effect on the
pom.build.unitTest.excludes property, which seems to be referenced from the
plugin.jelly script. I've tried setting this property to something sensible
in my project.properties file in the build directory. What syntax is that
anyway with the **/*MyClass.java format? I can't find any definitions on
that in the maven documentation. Well - assume that **/ means "match any
directory" and the "*MyClass.java" should match and exclude FooMyClass.java.

Well, it has no effect.

Where else could maven be getting the script to compile and execute the
junit tests?

Please please please if anyone can offer any help I'll be very grateful.

Thanks,

Alex

RE: Where does maven decide to execute jelly scripts from?

Posted by Bashar Abdul Jawad <bj...@vmsinfo.com>.
Hi,

I can't advice you on the jelly plug-in as I've never used it before. When
you run maven with -Dmaven.test.skip=true it will skip running tests for the
project. This is a property of the maven surefire plugin which is
responsible for running junit tests
(http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-surefire-plugin/index.html). Read the
part about inclusion and exclusion of tests, the patterns for inclusion and
exclusion are the same as ant patterns
(http://ant.apache.org/manual/dirtasks.html#patterns)

Bashar