Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Hu Xi <hu...@hotmail.com> on 2017/11/15 03:50:15 UTC

[DISCUSS] Hide internal topics' directories

Hi all,

Many new Kafka users are confused about the fact there are a lot of  sub-directories named '__consumer_offsets-***' or '__transaction_state-***' under the broker data directory and ask if they can be removed.

Do you guys think it can be beneficial to hide those internal topics' directories or at least put them into a specific path such as <log.dirs>/internals/?

Re: [DISCUSS] Hide internal topics' directories

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 14, 2017, at 19:50, Hu Xi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Many new Kafka users are confused about the fact there are a lot of
> sub-directories named '__consumer_offsets-***' or
> '__transaction_state-***' under the broker data directory and ask if they
> can be removed.
>
> Do you guys think it can be beneficial to hide those internal topics'
> directories or at least put them into a specific path such as
> <log.dirs>/internals/?

All of the log files are internal to Kafka and not meant as a public
API.  In general, we should not be advising users to modify these files
manually, especially new users.

best,
Colin