Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Sandeep Khanzode <sa...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2014/08/12 08:53:08 UTC

BitSet in Filters

Hi,

The current usage of BitSets in filters in Lucene is limited to applying only on docIDs i.e. I can only construct a filter out of a BitSet if I have the DocumentIDs handy.

However, with every update/delete i.e. CRUD modification, these will change, and I have to again redo the whole process to fetch the latest docIDs.

Assume a scenario where I need to tag millions of documents with a tag like "Finance", "IT", "Legal", etc.

Unless, I can cache these filters in memory, the cost of constructing this filter at run time per query is not practical. If I could map the documents to a numeric long identifier and put them in a BitMap, I could then cache them because the size reduces drastically. However, I cannot use this numeric long identifier in Lucene filters because it is not a docID but another regular field.

Please help with this scenario. Thanks,

-----------------------
Thanks n Regards,
Sandeep Ramesh Khanzode

RE: BitSet in Filters

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

in general you cannot cache Filter, you can cache their DocIdSets (CachingWrapperFilter is for example doing this). Lucene Queries are executed per segment, that means when you index new documents or update new documents, lucene creates new index segments. Older ones *never* change, so a DocIdSet (e.g. implemented by FixedBitSet) can be linked to a specifc segment of the index that never changes - only deletions may be added, but that's transparent to the filter - the deletions (given in acceptDocs to getDocIdSet) and the cached BitSet just need to be anded together (btw, deletions in Lucene are just a Filter, too).

Of course, after a while Lucene merges segments using its MergePolicy, because otherwise there would be too many of them. In that case several smaller segments (preferably those with many deletions) get merged into larger ones by the indexer. This is the only case when the some *new* DocIdSets need to be created. Large segments are unlikely to be merged, unless they have many deletions (caused by updates into new segments or deletions). This approach is used by Solr and Elasticsearch - CachingWrapperFilter is an example how to do this in own code.

To implement this:
- don't cache a bitset for the whole index this would indeed need you to recalculate the bitsets over and over
- In YourFilter.getDocIdSet() look up in your cache if the coreCacheKey of the given AtomicReaderContext.reader() is in your cache and if yes, reuse the cached DocIdSet (deletions are not relevant, you just have to apply them by BitsFilteredDocIdSet.wrap(cachedDocIdSet). If it's not in the cache, recalculate the bitset for the given AtomicReaderContext (not the whole index) and return it as DocIdSet instance.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de

Re: BitSet in Filters

Posted by Sandeep Khanzode <sa...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi Erick,

I have mentioned everything that is relevant, I believe :).

However, just to give more background: Assume documents of the order of more than 300 million, and multiple concurrent users running search. I may front Lucene with ElasticSearch, and ES basically calls Lucene TermFilters. My filters are broad in nature, so you can take it that any time I filter on a tag, it would run into, easily, millions of documents to be accepted in the filter.

The only filter that uses a BitSet works with Document Ids in Lucene. I would have wanted this bitset approach to work on some other regular numeric long field so that we can scale which does not seem likely if I have to use an ArrayList of Longs for TermFilters.

Hope that makes the scenario more clear. Please let me know your thoughts.

-----------------------
Thanks n Regards,
Sandeep Ramesh Khanzode

On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 8:41 PM, Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> wrote:

bq: Unless, I can cache these filters in memory, the cost of constructing this filter at run time per query is not practical

Why do you say that? Do you have evidence? Because lots and lots of Solr installations do exactly this and they run fine.

So I suspect there's something you're not telling us about your setup. Are you, say, soft committing often? Do you have autowarming specified?

You're not going to be able to keep your filters based on some other field in the document. Internally, Lucene uses the internal doc ID as an index into the bitset. That's baked in to very low levels and isn't going to change AFAIK.

Best,
Erick

Re: BitSet in Filters

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.