Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Justin Ling Mao <ma...@sina.com> on 2021/02/10 09:26:27 UTC

Re: Re: [Commit Accident Case Study] Commit 4faf507 broke the build

Haha, it scared me. Let me go through this accident.
The root cause is: I'm over-confident, frivolous and hasty. I flatter myself that it's just a typo and committing it could not have anything bad happens. And I also don't give this PR a buffer time for other people's review.
Accident is bad, but it's much more terrible if we can not reflect on it and think about how to avoid it next time.
For remedy:
I will add a new section: Commit Accident Case Study in [1] for the successor’s learning (Can anyone give me the permission to edit that wiki)?
I will sum up our commit rules and the checklists before committing one patch, and do some works to use the Github CI and commit script to protect/check these constraint.
For punishment:
I will frozen/forbid my committership permission for three months(02-10 ~ 05-10). During this period, I must not commit anything. I wish I could reflect on my fault and have a better understanding on the wording: "With great power comes great responsibility"

Reference:[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/HowToContribute
Posted by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Ben,

Sure, here’re the daily builds:
https://ci-hadoop.apache.org/view/ZooKeeper/job/zookeeper-multi-branch-build/

I see bind failed (address already in use) exception much more frequently on branch-3.7 and master branches. It would worth to diff with 3.6, I suspect we introduced something recently which causes this.

Andor

Posted by Benjamin Reed <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Szalay-Bekő Máté <sz...@gmail.com>.