Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Rod Mclaughlin <Ro...@omnimedix.org> on 2007/02/14 00:54:12 UTC

Maven 2 can't find plugins

I have an even more basic issue. Whenever I have a plugin in a POM.xml
file, and try to use it, eg.
*$ mvn xfire:wsdlgen *
Maven 2 says*
'Scanning for projects... Searching repository for plugin with prefix:
'xfire'. org.apache.maven.plugins: checking for updates
org.codehaus.mojo: checking for updates from central artifact
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-xfire-plugin: checking for updates from
central
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-xfire-plugin' does not exist
or no valid version could be found'*
This is true whatever the plugin. It's not a proxy issue: it can
download ordinary jars from the repository, just not plugins. For
example, here is a simple bit of a POM referring to xfire-maven-plugin:
    <build>
            <pluginManagement>
                <plugins>

                <plugin>
                    <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
                    <artifactId>xfire-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                        <executions>
                           <execution>
                              <phase>test-compile</phase>
                              <goals>
                                 <goal>wsdlgen</goal>
                              </goals>
                           </execution>
                        </executions>
                        <!-- this shows the default -->
                        <configuration>

<outputDirectory>${project.build.directory}/generated-sources/xfire/wsdlgen</outputDirectory>
                          <configs>

<wsdl>${basedir}/src/main/resources/META-INF/xfire/services.xml</wsdl>
                          </configs>
                        </configuration>

                </plugin>

            </plugins>
       </pluginManagement>
  </build>

Again, I've searched the web, the mailing lists etc.. Thanks for any
advice...

Re: [m2] Maven 2 can't find plugins

Posted by franz see <fr...@gmail.com>.
Good day, Rod,

Sorry about that... I have just taken a look at the repository itself and
its seems that the jar of xfire-maven-plugin is not there. Then I guess the
only thing left to do is to checkout the source, and build it yourself.

Cheers,
Franz

Posted by Rod Mclaughlin <Ro...@omnimedix.org>.
*I put this both in <repositories> and <pluginRepositories> and it makes no difference*
 <id>Codehaus Snapshots</id>
    <url>http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org/</url>
    <snapshots>
      <enabled>true</enabled>
    </snapshots>
    <releases>
      <enabled>false</enabled>
    </releases>
it still says
*The plugin 'org.codehaus.mojo:xfire-maven-plugin' does not exist or no valid version could be found*

Posted by franz see <fr...@gmail.com>.
Good day to you, Rod,

Re: Maven 2 can't find plugins

Posted by Rod Mclaughlin <Ro...@omnimedix.org>.

RE: Maven 2 can't find plugins

Posted by Kevan Dunsmore <Ke...@sabrix.com>.
I've had a similar problem. It appears that Maven is able to download
the pom for a plugin but not the plugin itself if you don't have
<pluginRepositories> defined but do have <repositories>. If you clear
everything from your local repo then attempt to download the plugin as a
side-effect of your build you'll see the repo directory created and the
correct pom pulled down to that directory. Maven will then fail saying
that it can't find the jar. You'll see a message saying that Maven is
trying to load the jar from a different repository from the one in which
it found the pom (usually "central").

I found this problem with plugins I had written myself. It might also be
something you'll see with external plugins....

Kevan.

On 2/13/07, Rod Mclaughlin <Ro...@omnimedix.org> wrote:
> I have an even more basic issue. Whenever I have a plugin in a POM.xml
> file, and try to use it, eg.
> *$ mvn xfire:wsdlgen *
> Maven 2 says*
> 'Scanning for projects... Searching repository for plugin with prefix:
> 'xfire'. org.apache.maven.plugins: checking for updates
> org.codehaus.mojo: checking for updates from central artifact
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-xfire-plugin: checking for updates from
> central
> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-xfire-plugin' does not
exist
> or no valid version could be found'*
> This is true whatever the plugin. It's not a proxy issue: it can
> download ordinary jars from the repository, just not plugins. For
> example, here is a simple bit of a POM referring to
xfire-maven-plugin:
>    <build>
>            <pluginManagement>
>                <plugins>
>
>                <plugin>
>                    <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
>                    <artifactId>xfire-maven-plugin</artifactId>
>                        <executions>
>                           <execution>
>                              <phase>test-compile</phase>
>                              <goals>
>                                 <goal>wsdlgen</goal>
>                              </goals>
>                           </execution>
>                        </executions>
>                        <!-- this shows the default -->
>                        <configuration>

<outputDirectory>${project.build.directory}/generated-sources/xfire/wsdl
gen</outputDirectory>
>                          <configs>
>
> <wsdl>${basedir}/src/main/resources/META-INF/xfire/services.xml</wsdl>
>                          </configs>
>                        </configuration>
>
>                </plugin>
>
>            </plugins>
>       </pluginManagement>
>  </build>
>

> Again, I've searched the web, the mailing lists etc.. Thanks for any
> advice...

This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information that is protected from disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message and any attachments.

Re: Maven 2 can't find plugins

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven 2 can't find plugins

Posted by "Craig S. Cottingham" <cr...@gmail.com>.