Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Adnan Zelkanovic <a....@allgaeu.net> on 2001/11/02 09:47:31 UTC

problems with JAVA

If you have problems to run/compile Cocoon/Tomcat etc. on your machine under
Linux, then the problem could be jdk1.3.1
If you are using jdk1.3.1 you have to install jdk1.3.0, because jdk1.3.1 has
problems on some Linux-systems. For example, jdk1.3.1 doesn't run on my
SuSE-Linux-7.2 so I installed jdk1.3.0 and now everything works ...

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Adnan Zelkanovic
allgäuNet.Onlinedienste GmbH

Nebelhornstraße 8
86807 Buchloe
Tel. (08241) 96869-33
Fax  (08241) 96869-26
http://www.allgaeu.net
e-mail: a.zelkanovic@allgaeu.net

ein Unternehmen der abc.Mediengruppe

Re: problems with JAVA

Posted by Sergio Carvalho <se...@acm.org>.
You may be refering to the stack limit bug. You can hop around it by doing:
 ulimit -s 2048
before executing java programs. No need to downgrade the JDK.

From: "Adnan Zelkanovic" <a....@allgaeu.net>
--

> If you have problems to run/compile Cocoon/Tomcat etc. on your machine under
> Linux, then the problem could be jdk1.3.1
> If you are using jdk1.3.1 you have to install jdk1.3.0, because jdk1.3.1 has
> problems on some Linux-systems. For example, jdk1.3.1 doesn't run on my
> SuSE-Linux-7.2 so I installed jdk1.3.0 and now everything works ...
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
>
> Adnan Zelkanovic
> allgäuNet.Onlinedienste GmbH
>
> Nebelhornstraße 8
> 86807 Buchloe
> Tel. (08241) 96869-33
> Fax  (08241) 96869-26
> http://www.allgaeu.net
> e-mail: a.zelkanovic@allgaeu.net
>
> ein Unternehmen der abc.Mediengruppe

Sergio Carvalho
---------------
sergio.carvalho@acm.org

Re: problems with JAVA

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Adnan Zelkanovic wrote:

>If you have problems to run/compile Cocoon/Tomcat etc. on your machine under
>Linux, then the problem could be jdk1.3.1
>If you are using jdk1.3.1 you have to install jdk1.3.0, because jdk1.3.1 has
>problems on some Linux-systems. For example, jdk1.3.1 doesn't run on my
>SuSE-Linux-7.2 so I installed jdk1.3.0 and now everything works ...

FYI: This is a well known jdk bug (or libc bug, I'm not sure) under
Linux. As a workaround, use:

ulimit -s 2048

before you call the java VM (this is also valid for embedded usages,
like inside Mozilla).

The bug is due to the implementation of dynamic stack under libc 2.2 and
up for Linux. Sorry, I can't remember developer.java.sun.com bug id. So
look it up yourself if you want to get more information.