Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Vibhor_Sharma <vs...@gryphonnetworks.com> on 2007/06/19 13:29:08 UTC

why is GET request faster than the SOAP request?

Hi
     I have been doing some performance benchmarking and observe that the SOAP requests take more time as compared to the REST based services. Any reason for that?

Thanks
Vibhor

RE: why is GET request faster than the SOAP request?

Posted by Vibhor_Sharma <vs...@gryphonnetworks.com>.
Paul
   Yes they are faster i have observed the same in my framework too. They are around 30% faster.
But the POX REST services are as good as the SOAP.

Interestingly we want one of our customers to move to the new architecture where we have SOAP based messages and also POX based web services deployed on Axis2. The client is reluctant to move on to the new one because he was using GET based services earlier which was giving him 30% faster results.

As i discussed earlier also that baggage of having the extra attributes such as the namespaces could be causing the slowness in the POX based services.

Vibhor

________________________________

Yes. Its simply XML parsing time. Did you notice a big difference? In
my tests I noticed that GET requests were about 25% faster than SOAP
XML POSTS.

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org <http://pzf.fremantle.org/>
paul@wso2.com

RE: why is GET request faster than the SOAP request?

Posted by Vibhor_Sharma <vs...@gryphonnetworks.com>.
Hi Paul
   Just wanted to share the performance matrix with the developer community.

We exposed few of our SOAP services through GET and observed a significant reduction in the response time around 1/3 or what we were getting through SOAP.

In fact this was even better than the solution build around DOT NET earlier in our organozation.

Vibhor

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

--
Paul Fremantle