Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by Bill van Melle <bi...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/01 03:04:51 UTC

Asian characters

I was surprised to find that Pivot doesn't display characters from the Asian
unicode planes -- they come out as black boxes.  My other Windows apps don't
do that.  What am I missing?

Re: Asian characters

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
otherwise, have you tried to change the font value inside the Terra json
definitions ?
The default is TerraTheme_default.json, but in Pivot 2.0 there are many
others in the same package.
In your application(s) you can try to define your default font there, and
use it by setting the flag in VM startup parameters of your application(s)
... just to have the default outside code.

As sample, then run with this VM startup argument (as application, but there
is a way even for Applets and for Web Start):
-Dorg.apache.pivot.wtk.skin.terra.location=/com/yourpackage/TerraTheme_test.json
note that in 2.0 the value here must start with / for all json files not in
the default package.
And of course that package/folder must be visible within the application
classpath.

Inside the json file, for example you can try: font: "Arial 16",
instead of the default value font: "Verdana 11",

Some (a little outdated info) here:
http://apache-pivot-users.399431.n3.nabble.com/Dynamic-changable-styles-td883505.html

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Asian characters

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@verizon.net>.
Pivot's default font (Verdana) doesn't include these characters. When your app starts up, you need to specify a font that supports Asian text. Just call Theme.getTheme().setFont() before you create any UI elements.