Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Sundeep Kambhampati <ka...@cse.ohio-state.edu> on 2013/07/18 19:02:50 UTC

Fault tolerance and Speculative Execution

Hi all,
Is it true that Hadoop 'always' starts same map tasks multiple times in
order to be fault tolerant. i.e. same task is launched on several
machines so that even if a node fails then same task would be available
on other node. And in case no node fails redundant task that finishes
late is killed. If it is true how can I change that configuration for
Hadoop to do it or not do it.

Speculative execution on the other hand does what I explained above
(redundant map tasks) but only after all the map tasks are scheduled and
if some nodes are free it starts redundant map tasks for those which are
running slow. Is it always true? How do change this configuration
enable/disable.

I am using Hadoop-1.1.2 incase version matters.

I really appreciate if someone could help me with this. Thank you.

Regards
Sundeep

Re: Fault tolerance and Speculative Execution

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
The finer grained controls are available in 2.x MR2 today. Pretty sure
they weren't deprecated/removed, but may have been replaced by better
names.

--
Harsh J

Re: Fault tolerance and Speculative Execution

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Fault tolerance and Speculative Execution

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Fault tolerance and Speculative Execution

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

RE: Fault tolerance and Speculative Execution

--
Harsh J

RE: Fault tolerance and Speculative Execution

--
Harsh J

RE: Fault tolerance and Speculative Execution

--
Harsh J

RE: Fault tolerance and Speculative Execution

--
Harsh J

Re: Fault tolerance and Speculative Execution

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Fault tolerance and Speculative Execution

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Fault tolerance and Speculative Execution

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Fault tolerance and Speculative Execution

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J