Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Kevin O'Neill <ke...@apache.org> on 2003/12/03 22:03:14 UTC

Should Xindice be retired?

There has been very little development done on Xindice over the last three
months and it may be the case that we are doing users a disservice by not
letting users know that the project is effectively inactive.

Is it time to retire the project?

-k.

(Hard hat and flame suite on ;))

Re: Should Xindice be retired?

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.
Hi Tom, I am very (pleasantly) surprised by this.  I myself considered
the name xRPC for a new XML-RPC-like protocol that resolves some of
these issues.  In addition, I wanted to decouple the message format from
the transport layer (HTTP 1.0 in XML-RPC).  I registered xrpc.org in May!

In my research on this issue I have communicated with many people who
have done similar work to your specification.  I am not sure this
conversation belongs on xindice-dev, but everyone who has looked at this
in the past has seemed to get to a certain point and then stop.  If we
actually had a few applications using this new protocol, maybe it would
gain some steam.  Of course, it would be up to the Xindice dev team to
decide if that is a direction they would like to take the project.

If you would like to take xrpc further, e-mail me off-list and I can
discuss my experiences further.

--
Ryan Hoegg
ISIS Networks

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Tom Bradford wrote:

> Dave Winer is of the opinion that to modify XML-RPC would be to break
> all implementations of it, which isn't necessarily the case.  I'm
> also  curious Vadim, what return types can't otherwise be coerced?

Ok, bad wording on my part. Not change to the XML-RPC itself, but change
the data format Xindice uses to transmit results via XML-RPC driver.
Quoting Kevin O'Neill:

>To fix it we need to change the internal
>representation of the query results (and the wire format used by the
>xml-rpc driver).

This is WRT to bug 22156, and may be some other issues as well which are
(IIRC) exposed with unit tests.

Vadim

Re: Should Xindice be retired?

Posted by Tom Bradford <br...@dbxmlgroup.com>.

Posted by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Mario Cormier <mc...@miranda.com>.
That's exactly what I've been thinking myself.  I think Xindice is a
project with a lot of potential, that could easily fit a nice little
niche, but unfortunately it's currently stalled completely.  I
contributed a few patches and tried to help where I could, but seeing as
no one cared, and all potential users invariably give up one by one for
the same reasons, I gave up too.  Considering the continued interest of
so many people, I personally think it's really a shame that the powers
that be are choosing to simply ignore the potential totally.

It's really sad, but I have to agree with you.  If Apache XML doesn't
want to help build the community (or even let the community build
itself), then it should make that crystal clear and let the project be
transferred to people who care.  I think interested people might be
reluctant to try and take on that role seeing that the Xindice project
is still alive.  That would only confuse everyone further.

Mario

Re: AW: Should Xindice be retired?

Posted by Murray Altheim <m....@open.ac.uk>.
Tom Bradford wrote:
> Hi Murray,
>
> In speaking about priorities, you hit the nail on the head.  Both
> Kimbro and I had priorities, paying the bills being the most important.
>
> The company had died, and as a last attempt to keep the project alive,
> we donated it to the ASF, after that, for many months, both of us
> continued to try to maintain the project, living on our savings, and
> trying to scrape money together however we could, simply because we
> wanted to see the project succeed.  But when you're out of cash, and
> starting to realize you may go hungry soon, finding some income becomes
> a priority.  Personally, I was offered a job with BEA, which is where I
> worked for about 6 or so months until it was proposed to me that dbXML
> could be brought back to life, but only if it were to be a commercial
> product.  My love for the product forced me to quit BEA, and take a
> substantial pay cut to return to dbXML.  In neither situation did I
> have the bandwidth to dedicate to Xindice.

Tom,

I'm glad you didn't respond with anger -- I didn't intend my message
to convey any. I completely understand that life is what happens when
your plans don't go as planned, and that you need to eat and have a
roof over your head prior to being able to doing cool and innovative
things. Very much so.

> And then there was the whole divorce thing.

Ouch. Having been there, and having a continuing ugly sore on my
psychic body from it (and having not seen my son in several years),
my sympathies.

> It has been my intention since returning to dbXML to ultimately either
> (a) donate major portions back to the ASF, or (b) open source the whole
> thing.  The fact that the two projects have diverged substantially led
> me to the latter option.
>
> Personally, I care about both projects, and it would be nice to see
> Xindice succeed.  Obviously there is an ego thing involved if it does
> succeed, but I'm just as bandwidth constrained now as I have been for
> the past year, and my focus has to be on the company's product, rather
> than other major projects.

Understood. I wonder how much actual time it would take to get 1.1
to a release point, from the core database standpoint. There are
probably enough interested people who could do the documentation,
the fleshing out of subsidiary parts, that maybe some commitment
from you over the next few months might keep the project alive. I
don't know if anyone else could step in, honestly. I think we've
seen some proof of that. I'm a strong believer that projects happen
because talented people make them happen, usually a core of people
committed to success. Absent that core few projects survive. I too
would like to see Xindice succeed. It would be sad to answer the
subject line of this thread in the negative, especially after so
much energy has gone into it.

Alternately, what's the chance of you open sourcing dbXML under
LGPL? Then I and others could use it. That would tend to drain
energy away from Xindice, but I'm not committed to the Xindice
or ASF "brand names" but the code. And you wrote both, which is
as much an endorsement as I can think of.

Murray

Murray Altheim                    http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK               .

   [...] all matters of authority and responsibility are ultimately
   matters of social practice, and never matters of ontology (that
   is, never just a matter of how things in fact are in the nonhuman
   world). [...] just as we should not look to ground our moral
   judgments in the nonhuman authority of a god, so we should not
   look to ground our empirical judgments in the nonhuman authority
   of an external world.                          -- Robert Brandom
   http://www.tilgher.it/brandom.html

Re: AW: Should Xindice be retired?

Posted by Tom Bradford <br...@dbxmlgroup.com>.
Hi Murray,

Posted by Murray Altheim <m....@open.ac.uk>.

Posted by Tom Bradford <br...@dbxmlgroup.com>.

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
> I keep thinking xindice is almost there (one hole at a time ;)). If we could
> find our consensus, know what we have already, organize our efforts and
> leverage the best of breed, then the last mile might be a lot more fun.

If you want to - set yourself a deadline (or as the PMC/board to do that)
e.g. significant commits by multiplepeople and a release by Februari
2004.. and if not then ask for (or have) the project retired.

Dw.

Re: AW: Should Xindice be retired?

Posted by Don Saxton <ds...@pacbell.net>.
The last status.xml I saw was a year ago from Vladimir  Bossicard. It was a
little diffacult to connect the to-do items to code and there were no items
reflecting what has been done.   Nonetheless a valiant effort.

I think a good to-do / is-done list is needed. Similarly the items needs to
be connected to some interfaces.  That done we can pass the doc to the other
xml db projects and start some sort of (any! sort of) consensus about 1)
what are the necessary services, 2) the common services, and finally 3) how
to commonly categorize the wildly divergent services.

That done (or in progress) we can figure out 1) how to swap components
supporting those interfaces, 2) which components are better, 3) which
components to take, and 4) what few remaining things do we really need to
do.

I keep thinking xindice is almost there (one hole at a time ;)). If we could
find our consensus, know what we have already, organize our efforts and
leverage the best of breed, then the last mile might be a lot more fun.
Maybe a race to the finish between projects.  Also with all the projects
working together on common problems (wasn't that an idea of opensource?),
maybe a light will go on at xmldb initiative.

Don

Posted by Kimbro Staken <ks...@xmldatabases.org>.