Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu> on 2002/03/04 20:06:07 UTC

the it worked page

Can we get rid of the "It worked!" page?  Please?  I'm getting sick of
confused people sending us email saying their server has been hijacked.
Maybe "site is under construction", period.  Nothing more informative than
that.  I know it's going down the road of "assume the user is an idiot and
therefore don't give them any information that they might not understand",
but the information on that page isn't really useful to anyone.  It just
says "hey, you got it right.  good job."  But the only people that read it
are ones that don't know WTF they're doing and it just causes no end of
trouble.

Thoughts?

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA

Re: the it worked page

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
What about a meta-"Content Expires" 48 hours after installation :-?

Let 'em see it for a day or two, then transition to some content expired
message.  Or better yet, make the install a bit more insulting to the
admin, and clearer...

"If this happens to be your favorite web site, that site's administrator
has installed a new web server to handle your requests.  However,
they seem to have forgotten to put back all the content.  Afraid there
is nothing the Apache HTTP Server group can do about that"

"For that matter, if you have a complaint about this web site, it's
operator, or users of this machine, we are afraid it has nothing to do
with the Apache HTTP Server project.  Apache HTTP Server is free,
open source software anyone may download and install {link to
Apache FAQ here?}."

"If you are really irritated with this web site administrator, don't whine
to the Apache HTTP Server project, use "nslookup" and "whois"
to find out the owner of this machine's IP address block, and complain
to them.  We have some hints {here}{another link to the FAQ."

Anyone leaving the default apache installed with the default page rather
deserves this, if they didn't stop to change the greetings :-)

Bill

RE: the it worked page

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: Cliff Woolley [mailto:jwoolley@virginia.edu]

> Can we get rid of the "It worked!" page?  Please?  I'm getting sick of
> confused people sending us email saying their server has been hijacked.
> Maybe "site is under construction", period.  Nothing more informative than
> that.  I know it's going down the road of "assume the user is an idiot and
> therefore don't give them any information that they might not understand",
> but the information on that page isn't really useful to anyone.  It just
> says "hey, you got it right.  good job."  But the only people that read it
> are ones that don't know WTF they're doing and it just causes no end of
> trouble.

I have no objection to that.  But be aware, the "It worked" page has been
vastly improved in recent versions.  Most of the cluelessness you see
probably comes from earlier versions, and these will not go away any time
soon, regardless of what we put in the next release.

In addition, there is the question of whether we link to the manual.  If we
do, then they will find us through that, and probably wind up even more
confused.  If we don't, then many people will never find the manual in their
distribution.

Joshua.

Re: the it worked page

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@hyperreal.org>.