Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Krassen Deltchev <kr...@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> on 2013/11/20 04:33:48 UTC

security impact after enabling back the "action:" prefix in Struts 2.3.15.3

Dear Struts2 mailing list,

i have the following question(s)/ i need the following advice:
by default the "action:" prefix is set to false in Struts2 v2.3.15.3 as to:
http://struts.apache.org/release/2.3.x/docs/s2-018
for security reasons,
but i need to set it back to true(i.e. the
struts.mapper.action.prefix.enabled) because my actions do not work
after the library update and if i decide to go another way to solve this
issue, i need to do a lot of refactoring on my code;
So my question is:
if i enable the "action:" prefix, does it mean that, i automatically
compromise/expose my application to the security issues discussed in
s2-16, s2-17 and s2-18?
Is there a workaround for my scenario, that i can enable the prefix, but
still maintain the security level of my application considering the
enumerated above issues?(can i achieve better results if i tweak
properly the struts.mapper.action.prefix.crossNamespaces)

many thanks for your opinions and support!

Best,

krassen
--

Krassen Deltchev
M.Sc. Applied Computer Science, Ruhr-University of Bochum

Re: Is Struts 2.3.15.2 affected by the security vulnerability S2-018?

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
2013/12/17 Miguel Almeida <mi...@almeida.at>:
> Great to hear that. BTW, you've been missed on IRC's #struts, drop by
> some time!

Too many communications channels ;-) When entire company will switch
to using IRC I'll be there all the time :-)

Regards
--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: Is Struts 2.3.15.2 affected by the security vulnerability S2-018?

Posted by Miguel Almeida <mi...@almeida.at>.

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Miguel Almeida <mi...@almeida.at>.
Lukasz,

Just to be sure, does that mean that if you use 2.3.15.3 and you set the
flag to enable the action: prefix it means you'll get the old behaviour
(and vulnerability) back?

Miguel

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Re: security impact after enabling back the "action:" prefix in Struts 2.3.15.3

Posted by semog12 <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I have the same question. I have one form with two submit tags and if
setting the constant 'struts.mapper.action.prefix.enabled' can bring
security issues what is the possible solution?

Thanks,

André Gomes

Re: security impact after enabling back the "action:" prefix in Struts 2.3.15.3

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
2013/11/26 Miguel Almeida <mi...@almeida.at>:
> Picking up on this topic, I noticed that disabling this feature will
> break any JSPs where you've set the action in the <s:submit> tag instead
> of the <s:form> tag.
>
> This is particularly problematic in situations where  for some reason
> you have one form with two submit tags, since the submit is the only
> place where you can distinguish the actions.
>
> This can also be related with a similar situation in s2-019, where the
> disabling of the DMI makes the method="" parameter of the tags unusable.
>
> I've learnt that this will be better handled in a future version of
> struts, so my assumption is that the normal behaviour will return in
> both situations on a future non-security release - hopefully the next
> one! Maybe someone from the dev team can share their input with us?

As I have already mentioned in other topic - we are discussing this
issue on private@ list but I will move the discussion here to see your
inputs.

Regards

Posted by Krassen Deltchev <kr...@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>.
Dear Miguel!

Thank you very much for your thoughts on the problem and your feedback!
Keep the good work up!

Al the best!

krassen

Posted by Miguel Almeida <mi...@almeida.at>.