Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org> on 2017/06/30 14:49:29 UTC

Bugs in apr_file_trunc

It came to my notice that apr_file_trunc() has some bugs which have been
worked around in Subversion.

Please see svn_io_file_trunc() in subversion/libsvn_subr/io.c :

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/subversion/trunk/subversion/libsvn_subr/io.c?view=markup&pathrev=1759116#l4065

r1240752 added a work-around
r1759116 added a further work-around, and a test

Might anyone care to investigate transferring these fixes and tests for
them into APR?

- Julian

Re: Bugs in apr_file_trunc

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 1:24 PM, Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com> wrote:
> On 30 June 2017 at 19:46, Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2017-06-30 at 11:44 -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>> Thx... it's a shame that either (1) these bugs aren't reported
>>> to the APR dev team to fix or (2) that they are, but that the
>>> dev team isn't aware or following up.
>>
>> Well, there may or may not be some report deep in the archives
>> or in bugzilla.
>>
>> On the other hand, there is quite a lot of overlap between
>> the SVN and APR dev communities, including committership.
>> I wonder if there's confusion like a fix that's trunk-only?
>>
> These problems fixed in APR trunk in r1788929 [1], but didn't
> backported to 1.5.x and 1.6.x branches.
>
> https://svn.apache.org/r1788929

Agreed that's the issue, and these should be applied to 1.6 and 1.7
branches already, certainly for the next release.

The overly-complicated headache of fixing non-symlink APR_LNK
entities on Win32 also turns out to be solvable, but either I staple
on more bailing wire, or refactor to make it all more legible. I'm
proceeding with the later :)

So an apr 1.6 tag later this month would be great, IMO!

Re: Bugs in apr_file_trunc

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Thx. Committed revision 1800458 for 1.6.x

Re: Bugs in apr_file_trunc

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com>.

--
Ivan Zhakov

Re: Bugs in apr_file_trunc

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.

Re: Bugs in apr_file_trunc

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Thx... it's a shame that either (1) these bugs aren't reported
to the APR dev team to fix or (2) that they are, but that the
dev team isn't aware or following up.

Either alternative is sad.

Re: Bugs in apr_file_trunc

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.