Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Esteban Donato <es...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/24 10:11:40 UTC

multicore and replication cause OOM

Hi,

I have a Solr with 7 cores (~150MB each).  All cores replicate at the
same time from a Solr master instance.  Every time the replication
happens I get an OOM after experiencing long response times.  This
Solr used to have 4 cores before and I've never got an OOM with that
configuration (replication occurs on daily basis).

My question is: could the new 3 cores be the cause of OOM?  Does Solr
require considerable extra heap for performing the replication?.
Should I avoid replicating all the cores at the same time?

I'm using Solr 1.4 with the following mem configuration: -Xms512m
-Xmx512m -XX:NewSize=128M -XX:MaxNewSize=128M

Appreciate any help.

Regards,
Esteban

Re: multicore and replication cause OOM

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 5:37 AM, Esteban Donato
<es...@gmail.com> wrote:
> thanks Shalin.  One more question:  is there any way to avoid multiple
> cores replicating at the same time?  Like synchronizing the
> ReplicationHandler somehow?

Yes, just specify different poll intervals for each core. The
ReplicationHandler always tries to schedule pulls by rounding to the
nearest interval e.g. specifying an interval as "00:05:00" will cause
pulls to happen at 5 minutes past the hour, then 10 minutes past the
hour and so on.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: multicore and replication cause OOM

Posted by Esteban Donato <es...@gmail.com>.
thanks Shalin.  One more question:  is there any way to avoid multiple
cores replicating at the same time?  Like synchronizing the
ReplicationHandler somehow?

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.